What's new

Problem with dual WAN with failover

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

asiersan

New Around Here
Hi to all. I have a problem with dual WAN with failover. I have to internet conections, first one with a cable provider an DHCP, the second one with Fiber with PPOE both in an ASUS RT-AC87u

The failover is running perfect. But the problem is that when i reboot the router, the cable conection sows as conected, but the fiber (PPOE) shows as disconected in the network map. I must go to ppoe wan settings page and push to apply button, and them its conected again.

This is a problem with a power loss that you must be going to that page and aplly settings again.
This is happening with all asus merlin firmwares since i tried the failover mode.

Can you know wath is happening?

failover is active when primary wan is failure, other secondary wan should be disconnected.

No, when the primary is active its in wait mode. If i push apply ir shows waiting not disconected.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

i use dual wan with usb 4g modem, and when primary wan is ok then secondary wan disconected and IMO this is ok. When primary wan is fail then secondary wan start working. When primary wan is back, then secondary go to idle and after some time is disconect.
IMO
This is ok becouse secondary wan is a failover so it's not necessary to be always on line.

Never Dual Wan in ASUS not start working correct. Some years working bad. Asus nothing done to correct it. NO GOOOD

I have no good experience with Dual WAN Failover, and it seems like they are trying to fix it, probably in GPL382.xxxx? I had Android Phone as secondary WAN; when the primary WAN is disconnected, it did failover to secondary WAN, but never had it been successfully failback for more than 3minutes to primary WAN, even though it keeps trying.

It have been discussed many times on this and other forums. I wrote this just a couple of weeks ago:

ASUS implementation of Dual WAN is not working and from what I'm been reading on this forum Merlin stay away from their dual-wan implementation. Do a search on dual wan or similar and you find a lot of threads about it.

I'm one of many Asus router owners that bought the Asus router mainly because of its dual-wan capabilities but it's simply not working. 2 months ago I switched to a pfSense box and are now running with three WANs with load balancing and failover - not a glitch so far. My AC88U have been degraded to AP running Merlin 380.65_alpha1.

Mine is runing well. The only problem is that i must go to secondary wan page and press aply every time i reboot router.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

I'm having the same problem with the Failover mode. It will only connect after I go to the wan settings and hit apply.

Moreover, I cannot use Watchdog, since it will randomly disconnect and reconnect WAN1 even though it was working just fine.

Even worse, I would rather be using Load Balancing, since my connections are 15 Mbps and 10 Mbps, but Load Balancing is even buggier. For instance: router web interface cannot be accessed over WAN even if the settings are to allow it. And once in a while some websites (like Facebook and Instagram) wouldn't load the images.

I hope ASUS fix those issues in the 382 version.

I even bought a TP-LINK TL-R470T+ some time ago and left Asus RT-AC68U in AP mode. But though the TP-Link is good at load balancing, it lacks a bunch of other features Asus has, like decent QoS.