What's new

Problem with Guest Network (Wrong Password)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks. The issue hasn't happened again since I posted so I'm leaving it at 384.17 for now. I'm hoping mine was an isolated incident, though it leaves doubts about stability.

@Jack Yaz has an interesting script to enhance guest Wi-Fi here:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/y...-merlin-guest-wifi-inc-ssid-vpn-client.45924/
Support for AC88U is claimed, which might be useful for your router, but AC66U-B1 is untested, so I haven't tried it.

In this thread: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-merlin-guest-wifi-security-bug.63933/ the same author proposes the script as a solution to the issue of guests being able to access LAN subnets other than the main one. That thread suggests that Asus have more work to on guest networks.
Thanks for your suggestion. Since 384.13 works for me, I am going to leave this router running 384.13 and my other AC88U running the stock firmware from Asus. I only downloaded Merlink for this router to allow me to have greater selection/control on the VPN Client routing since the stock firmware lacks any VPN traffic configuration.

I don't really any advantage running later versions of Merlin if they cannot support my desired configuration of the Guest network.

While stuck at home due to Covid-19, It has been fun mucking around with the VPN Client using Merlin and experimenting the VPN connections to my other routers located abroad.

I'me having the same problem as you.
When Guest network have WPA2 password, it doesn't work, no client can't connect.

As soon as I remove password, being an Open Network, I can connect again!

Any ideas?

I'me having the same problem as you.
When Guest network have WPA2 password, it doesn't work, no client can't connect.

As soon as I remove password, being an Open Network, I can connect again!

Any ideas?
What version of Merlin are you using in your router? In my tests, I only managed to get a stable Guest network on version 384.13 as reported by and full credit to psychosb. You might try a different version in your router to see if your problem is related to a specific version.

I have tested every version between 384.13 and 384.17 with the same result. It is as if a flaw was introduced after 384.13 and inherited since. I have no Guest network issues since reverting to 384.13.

I had the same problems with the latest version of the Asus Stock Firmware.

If anyone is having the same problem with the AC88-U and the 2.4Ghz Guest Network problem, I have only managed to fix this downgrading the firmware to the 384.13.0.

All working fine now.

Thanks to psychosb for this useful post.

I'm having the same guest network password problem with 384.17 on AC86-U
Please try 384.13 and see if this will fix your Gest wifi issue. It seems to me that a defect on the Guest WiFi was introduced after 384.13 which been inherited in subsequent releases.

Hi, I can confirm the suggestion to use 8 letter without any special letters in SSID and 16 letter password without any special letters works.
Also I did not reuse any SSID names, as mentioned also.

Before I also tried to:
reset router to factory default.
Made new Guest SSID in both 2.4 and 5 ghz.
Tried restarting both ipads and android devices.
Guest network i created without any password/security worked fine.

Have to mention that this was on a ASUS AC68u (firmware 9.0.0.4.386_41994) , but think it is relevant to mention a solution that works.

I've been experiencing same issue on my R7000. Windows devices would return Incorrect Password when connecting with Guest network, and android devices will get stuck on Connecting and then ultimately fail to connect. All these started after I upgraded firmware last year, tried factory resetting, and also newer firmware but the problem with guest network stayed.

Was planning on going back to netgear's firmware but tried one last thing and it seems to be working. Basically, in Guess Network page, there are 3 slots to create guest networks. I only had one created in the 1st box, I deleted that one, rebooted and then created the guest network with same name and password (8 characters but includes an underscore) in 3rd slot and then rebooted again. Now devices are connecting fine with the guest network.

If the issue returns, I'm going back to netgear's firmware. Anyone know how to do that?

I use the guest networks for IoT and had issues because of IP problems on Guest_1 that were documented elsewhere in this forum so I moved to the second column (Guest_2) and it's been rock-solid for months now.

Last edited: