What's new

Problems with VyprVPN & Plex

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rickeisner

New Around Here
Apologies if this is not the correct place to ask this question.

I have VyprVPN running on my Macintosh all the time. I have tried to set up Plex, but can't get it running with VyprVPN running too. When I shut down VyprVPN (and wait about 15 minutes), Plex will start to run and connect to my Roku box, and all's well with the world.

Problem is, when VyprVPN is running on 10.11.1.231 Plex says '(green light) Server is mapped to port 32400 (209.99.58.21)' and '(red light) myPlex was unable to connect to your server'.

I don't understand exactly what VPN does, and nobody at VyprVPN can help, nor can anyone at Plex.

BTW, I'm running a fixed ip, and with portforward to 32400.

I'd appreciate any help, or guidance to the right forum.

Rick

I assume the Macintosh/VPN client resides on your internal network.

How/if tunneling is implemented on the VPN client could be responsible for your issue.

As for the problem itself, either
1. The Macintosh is unable to find the Roku on your network, or
2. The Macintosh is unable to communicate with the Roku.

The former may be worked around by manually specifying the Roku's IP, if Plex has that functionality. The latter would warrant further investigation--can you ping the device with/without the VPN client active, is the Roku-bound traffic being routed through the VPN (and is a subnet overlap responsible for this), etc.

Re: Prob's with VyprVPN & Roku

Pardon, I''m much less clever than I might appear.

I don't know anything about tunneling: if it's there, it's news to me.

I only know that Ping is a function in Network Utility. I don't know how to use it to try to ping that device. Should there be an ip for the device available somewhere?

The Roku may have been issued an IP by your router. Many routers have a "DHCP Client" or similarly-named list which records those IPs; you may be able to identify the IP if you recognize the Roku there.

You could also try pinging it by hostname and observing the IP that appears. Does the media application show URLs? If you notice a URL (UNC path, actually) like \\something\movies, that something is the server's hostname or IP.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!