What's new

Plex on 11000 Pro - Issues with certain files

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maseren

New Around Here
Hi all,

I am desperate for some help and have found it hard finding any from Asus themselves. I am running a GT-AX11000 Pro router. Brand new. Had an AC 3100 router, and just wanted to upgrade it. The Router is also connected to two 6600 mini routers also Asus. Here is my weird issue. I have port forwarded on plex, 32400, also tried a different port external. No issues there, however, i have family, when they try to play 4k movies (original quality) or Rogue One for example, which is one of my larger files again at original quality, they are constantly buffering. With my AC3100 ZERO issues, nothing at all, with the AX11000 Pro, with original firmware or Merlin, i seem to face the same issue. I am at the end of my thread, not sure what else to do but sell it, and probably sell the 6600 routers i use as extender;s around the house.

I really could use some advise/assistance on how to fix this? my knowledge is limited, maybe there is something different or turned on in the AX11000 pro that isn't in the AC3100 that i am somehow missing. Any advice and thank you.

- Plex server direct network connection
- no connection differences between AC3100 setup and GT-AX11000 pro setup
- Viewing is original quality
- Internet speed for family member is 300mb/s more than fast enough.
- they have no issues with movies 25gb or under.
- Issues with 4k original quality and larger movies.

PS. I am also having 2.4ghz issues but that is another story i think.

What is your internet upload speed?

Is that because the <25GB files are not 4k, or are they also 4k but of shorter length?
Hi Colin, thanks for replying. Essentially my upload is 700-800mbps, i have a gigabit fios network from verizon. So plenty fast. Well Rogue one for example is not 4k and is greater than 30gb, another movie that causes some issues is also larger. The size isn't necessarily the cause of the issue, but i wanted to point it out. 4k is across the board, though most 4ks end up having to stream with higher bandwidth.

If I understand your post correctly you are indicating someone accessing the Plex server remotely, not on local network, is having trouble with certain video files. If so do local network clients have the same problem accessing the same media file on the Plex server? Is the remote person using Plex Pass to access the content on the Plex server? Does the issue happen across other devices accessing remotely? What is the remote device that is having the issue?

It is possible the Plex server is transcoding or rate limiting the media. May want to check the Plex server log(s) to see if they indicate any reason for the media playback problem.

Have you enabled any sort of QoS, AiProtection, or other extra features on the router? What firmware version are you running on the router? Are you running AiMesh? If using Merlin are you running any add-on scripts? If so which ones.

If I understand your post correctly you are indicating someone accessing the Plex server remotely, not on local network, is having trouble with certain video files. If so do local network clients have the same problem accessing the same media file on the Plex server? Is the remote person using Plex Pass to access the content on the Plex server? Does the issue happen across other devices accessing remotely? What is the remote device that is having the issue?

It is possible the Plex server is transcoding or rate limiting the media. May want to check the Plex server log(s) to see if they indicate any reason for the media playback problem.

Have you enabled any sort of QoS, AiProtection, or other extra features on the router? What firmware version are you running on the router? Are you running AiMesh? If using Merlin are you running any add-on scripts? If so which ones.
Hey there, thanks for taking the time to answer. You're right, local networks aren't having any issues. Remote person doesn't use plex pass, but with the AC3100 they had no issues. Actually three people in three different locations, one is Apple TV, one is on chrome browser on a PC, and one is on Nvidia Shield, are facing the same strange issue. Interestingly, my satellite/mesh routers, which i wanted to use initially, also had the same problem (ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600), i gave up on them.

I didn't know that logs would help that much, i'll try.

No QOS since i never used that with the AC3100, though i did try that and no dice. AI Protection is on in both, but i can try disabling it. I was running the latest firmware, will be hard to look up now, but will try to get back to you, however, i had the same problem when i upgraded the AC11000 pro to the merlin firmware. I was praying it would fix something but it did not. I am running AI Mesh. Did it also with the AC3100. No add-on with merlin, just the basic. I'm not knowledgeable enough to run scripts without guidance.

Hope this answers your questions. I am willing to try anything. Heck i reverted to my old router to test things. I even upgraded it to the latest non-beta merlin, and its successful from one site, having my two other people test. I just have to wonder if some default setting on the AC11000 pro and the AX6600, is very different from the basic AC3100?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!