What's new

Procedure clean install new firmware ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HerrSchurz

Occasional Visitor
I have seen a post some time ago in this forum on howto do a clean install of a new firmware version (procedure, steps, fact defaults etc). Been searching but cannot find it. Can somebody post a link ? Want to upgrade, but clean instead of dirty this time :) Thanks in advance. BTW I own a RT-AX92U, 1 base 2 nodes

For AiMesh nodes, they need to be dealt with first. Just upload the new firmware (Stock or Merlin or whatever), let them reboot and remove them from mesh using web GUI. That resets them.

Then I come to the main router where I ssh into router first and pass command hnd-erase nvram and then immediately upload firmware manually using GUI. When firmware update is complete, I am greeted with Welcome screen wizard.

Once I have enabled Ethernet Backhaul for nodes, I add them at the end after the main router has been set up the way I want.

That's my personal way and while it might be right or wrong I don't care. Gets job done without any drama and has worked solidly for me for last 2 years.

Last edited:
For AiMesh nodes, they need to be dealt with first. Just upload the new firmware (Stock or Merlin or whatever), let them reboot and remove them from mesh using web GUI. That resets them.

Then I come to the main router where I ssh into router first and pass command hnd-erase nvram and then immediately upload firmware manually using GUI. When firmware update is complete, I am greeted with Welcome screen wizard.

Once I have enabled Ethernet Backhaul for nodes, I add them at the end after the main router has been set up the way I want.

That's my personal way and while it might be right or wrong I don't care. Gets job done without any drama and has worked solidly for me for last 2 years.
You do it the other way around. You should first upgrade new fw, then make factory default with initialize.
Why are you doing it wrong? because you restore the factory settings for the old fw, then you upload a new fw which works with the settings from the old fw.

btw.
Code:
hnd-erase nvram
i always use
Code:
nvram erase