What's new

Programmatically login to interface?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheDude

New Around Here
Hello,

Has anyone a good source of information or experience logging in to an Asus router from a program or script?

I have done some research on the topic myself but it would be stupid not to ask before digging deeper.

Background: mostly out of curiosity but I'd like to get the external IP as it is seen by the router and use it for dyndns updating purposes.

I know my router has dyndns support built in but currently it does not seem to support the dyndns provider I use. I also have scripts polling external site to get the IP but I'd like to have a solution not relying on external source.

Another option would be to use a SSH client and open up a connection, but it seems far fetched. Or if there's a better way I'm all ears.

Use stock firmware and I know there's more options if I'd use other firmware. Thing is, I'm quite happy with stock at the moment. My "use case" is not worth the effort alone I think.

And yeah, it's an RT-AC86U but I guess most of the modern ASUS routers use the same (or similar) web page / web server code for the admin interface.

Wish y'all a lovely day,

Jens

SSH is the best way to do that, since it can easily be scripted.