What's new

Promise Comments: Quieting Down the Promise SmartStor NS4300N and NS4300N Review!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi All,

I have the NS4300 but i cannot get it to work in gigabit mode. I have recently purchased a gigabit router and also a gigabit 5 port switch to which the NAS is connected. My computers are now working at 1.0gbps but the nas still shows as working at 100mbps. I went on to see the jumbo framse setting but i could not change anything on there.

Any ideas?

Hey Dude, first thing that comes to mind is cable.. This is one symptom of bad cable. I assume you are using the supplied cable? Please try another cable if possible. :) I can send you a cable if needed.

Also, what router?

Get back to me...

Thanks

SMART readout of disks?

Hey everybody,
did I see wrong, that there is a possibility to read the SMART info of the disks in the NAS? Can not find the menu botton in the PASM web config.

Thanks
Wolfgang

Hi Billy,

Thanks for the Advice. i did use the cable that came with the NAs. I bought a new Cat 6 cable and now its working fine at 1000Mbps with 1500bytes MTU. Do i need to change these MTU settings to get a better performance ?

Thanks once Again,
Raj

Hey everybody,
did I see wrong, that there is a possibility to read the SMART info of the disks in the NAS? Can not find the menu botton in the PASM web config.

Thanks
Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang, We report the feature as being enabled or disabled but we do not report the SMART data to the PASM or SmartNAVI event log as we only use the information for error handling (internally) and determining if a disk is healthy or unhealthy. We only need to expose and not mask the information (as we do now). In the future we will expose more information but the schedule is not in place at the moment. I can probably set an expectation in a few weeks. :)

Other questions, let me know..

Hi Billy,

Thanks for the Advice. i did use the cable that came with the NAs. I bought a new Cat 6 cable and now its working fine at 1000Mbps with 1500bytes MTU. Do i need to change these MTU settings to get a better performance ?

Thanks once Again,
Raj

No problem Rbhalla.. :) Since the original is bad, send me a PM with your shipping address and I will have support send out a cable to replace.

You can modify the MTU of Jumbo Frames if your GNIC and Router and or Switch supports Jumbo Frames. Jumbo frames can provide a nominal to modest increase in performance depending on compatibility/interop of the products being used together. Unforunately we are talking about a minimum of 3 products working together and possibly more. ;) Play with the various MTU sizes to see which provides the best performance and stability (I have had GNICs that look up a system when JB is enabled) for you.

Talk to you soon.

Thanks.

Hi PromiseNasDude,

I sent the exchange request to the support@ email but got bounced back. I also sent you a PM yesterday and haven't heard back from you. Just want to make sure I am still qualified for it since I notified you before the deadline.

Thanks!

Hi PromiseNasDude,

I sent the exchange request to the support@ email but got bounced back. I also sent you a PM yesterday and haven't heard back from you. Just want to make sure I am still qualified for it since I notified you before the deadline.

Thanks!

No worries.. :)

All support incidents are logged via the online support center at support.promise.com. Anyway, you are taken care of..

Thanks..

Hello!
Sorry for my english... I want to use my NAS4300N as torrent downloader, but can't change port number. Now SmartStore's bittorrentclient uses port 6881, and I want use other number. How can I change it? And can I configure another plugin settings?

Thanks.
PS: Works SmartStore only as downloader, or it can upload too?

Hello!
Sorry for my english... I want to use my NAS4300N as torrent downloader, but can't change port number. Now SmartStore's bittorrentclient uses port 6881, and I want use other number. How can I change it? And can I configure another plugin settings?

Thanks.
PS: Works SmartStore only as downloader, or it can upload too?

Hi Strongarm, everything you are asking for will come in a future version. We are in the process of defining new features for the Download Station. :) Give me some time and I can try to let you know when (not this next service release though).

Thanks.

Hi!
One more question: You said about firmware update SR5, but on Promise's download page exists only SR4. What it means?
Thanks.

Hi Billy,
Thanks for offering me the replacement cable. Please do not worry about it as i have already purchased a cat6 now. Also, I am in the UK now. Please can you let us know though when you guysd plan to start sending out replacements ?
Regards,
Raj

Hi PromiseNasDude,

Good on ye for interacting with the end users of the product in the way you are and actually using the feedback you get to better the product. Its heartening to see.

I just got delivered another NS4300N (this time for myself!) and am wondering if it will support 3 x 1.5TB Seagate drives in RAID 5? Have you tested disks larger than 1TB?
Also wondering if there is any planned support for an encrypted container / volume on a disk? At present I achieve encryption by using the Mac HDD Util to create an encrypted sparse disk image and storing it on the NAS, however native support would be cool.

Am looking forward to getting SR5 as im sure alot of my customers are!

Thanks for being here.

Andy

hi PromiseNasDude,

Do you know if is it possible to know the fragmentation of the nas? And in the end is it possible defragment it?

Because between two same nas i have not the same speed for the same files.

All Data lost....

Hi PromiseNASDude,
you are my last help to rebuilt my NS4300N from a mistake I made in 'engmode'. Had problems to mount and read/write to NFS-shares from my digital SAT-receivers and wanted to go into root by telnet on the NAS to change owners/rights of the files on my RAID-5 with 3x 1TB drives.
did this, and the RAID-5 was gone:
Code:
NAS400N ##> peinfo
Physical Disk Extend Information
ID LD     Size(MB)  StartLBA   MainStatus   FuncStatus AssignStatus  SmartStatus
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 0  0    953805.71      0.00         Idle   Functional     Assigned         Work
 1  0    953805.71      0.00         Idle   Functional     Assigned         Work
 2  0    953805.71      0.00         Idle   Functional     Assigned         Work
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAS400N ##> pdinfo
Physical Disk Information
ID CH         Size(MB)            Model           Serial              F/W
 0  0        953869.71     ST31000340NS         9QJ172S0             SN05
 1  1        953869.71     ST31000340NS         9QJ1HCNQ             SN05
 2  2        953869.71     ST31000340NS         9QJ1CL96             SN05
NAS400N ##> pdtest
This test may take some times. Please wait ...
  Logical volume "lv001" successfully removed
  Logical volume "nsswap" successfully removed
  Volume group "vg001" successfully removed
  Labels on physical volume "/dev/sda1" successfully wiped

SATA Channel test pass
NAS400N ##> pdinfo
Physical Disk Information
ID CH         Size(MB)            Model           Serial              F/W
 0  0        953869.71     ST31000340NS         9QJ172S0             SN05
 1  1        953869.71     ST31000340NS         9QJ1HCNQ             SN05
 2  2        953869.71     ST31000340NS         9QJ1CL96             SN05
NAS400N ##> peinfo
Physical Disk Extend Information
ID LD     Size(MB)  StartLBA   MainStatus   FuncStatus AssignStatus  SmartStatus
 0  0    953805.71      0.00         Idle   Functional     Assigned         Work
 1  1    953805.71      0.00         Idle   Functional     Assigned         Work
 2  2    953805.71      0.00         Idle   Functional     Assigned         Work
NAS400N ##> ldinfo
RAID Information
ID         Name   Level Size(MB)       Status         Activity             PDs
 0  RAID-218355   RAID0   953805   Functional             Idle           [ 0 ]
 1  RAID-218509   RAID0   953805   Functional             Idle           [ 1 ]
 2  RAID-218517   RAID0   953805   Functional             Idle           [ 2 ]
NAS400N ##> logout
Can you give me an advise, whether there is a chance to rebuilt the RAID?
many thanks
Wolfirr

Problems with setup...

Hey PromiseNasDude,

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm having some terrible problems with a fairly easy setup. Is e-support responsive and the best approach to take?

TIA,

Vince Fulco

I just receieved my 4300N and 4 seagate 1.5TB drives

After doing the setup everything runs fine until i do a reboot. After the reboot the system tells me the file system needs rebuilit.

I have opened a trouble ticket.. Called in for support and was told sorry only use the drives that are compatible and we dont know when they will be tested..

I have been running into a road block. I called in and was told to only use the drives that are supported. I didnt realize the drives would make that big of a difference and have opened them and installed them.. I have 4 at 220 and cannot return them. I really dont want to waste that money is there anything i can do to make this work?

I just receieved my 4300N and 4 seagate 1.5TB drives

After doing the setup everything runs fine until i do a reboot. After the reboot the system tells me the file system needs rebuilit.

I have opened a trouble ticket.. Called in for support and was told sorry only use the drives that are compatible and we dont know when they will be tested..

I have been running into a road block. I called in and was told to only use the drives that are supported. I didnt realize the drives would make that big of a difference and have opened them and installed them.. I have 4 at 220 and cannot return them. I really dont want to waste that money is there anything i can do to make this work?

it could be long before there is a new firmware to correct this. Peharps you must sell them to buy some compatible in exchange?

Ns4300n

I just bought my NS4300N a couple of days ago. I only have 1 * 1TB drive in it and started to copy all my media files onto it. SO far so good. NS4300N is configured as RAID 0

The next day I inserted a second similar hard drive and using PASM, I noticed that VOLUME1 now has Disk 1 and Disk 2

When I select RAID Management I see the following:

RAID Name RAID-1348906
RAID Level RAID 0 (Striping) (x1)
Capacity 931.45 GB
RAID Status Functional
Action Status Migrating
Background Activity Running
Progress 42%

It has taken 36 hours so far to reach 42%. Is this normal?

Thanks

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!