What's new

Promise Comments: Quieting Down the Promise SmartStor NS4300N and NS4300N Review!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nas4300n

I just bought my NS4300N a couple of days ago. I only have 1 * 1TB drive in it and started to copy all my media files onto it. SO far so good. NS4300N is configured as RAID 0

The next day I inserted a second similar hard drive and using PASM, I noticed that VOLUME1 now has Disk 1 and Disk 2

When I select RAID Management I see the following:

RAID Name RAID-1348906
RAID Level RAID 0 (Striping) (x1)
Capacity 931.45 GB
RAID Status Functional
Action Status Migrating
Background Activity Running
Progress 42%

It has taken 36 hours so far to reach 42%. Is this normal?

Thanks

Mine took 3 days to expand from 2 1 tb drives to 4.. then it took 5 hours after that to rebuild the file system, i dont think nasdude is answering anymore his mailbox if full..

My experience so far with their support is less than I would expect.. I would love to hear from someone that has received a positive response from their support.

I keep noticing they are closing my ticket each time i respond so i have to add a line to my request to open it up..

Why cant they support 1.5 TB drives? what is the technical hold up?

When is SR5 coming?

How does the DLNA server decide when to index?

Why cant we get some FTP logging? Wouldnt you like to know who has ftpd to your box?

Mine took 3 days to expand from 2 1 tb drives to 4.. then it took 5 hours after that to rebuild the file system, i dont think nasdude is answering anymore his mailbox if full..

My experience so far with their support is less than I would expect.. I would love to hear from someone that has received a positive response from their support.

I keep noticing they are closing my ticket each time i respond so i have to add a line to my request to open it up..

When is SR5 coming?

Why cant we get some FTP logging? Wouldnt you like to know who has ftpd to your box?

Somes companies does not put a lot of money in there support activity or doesn't want to help powerusers if the overall function are working.

Peharps it's the case with promise? But they have made a lot of progress in the SR. And i prefer to have a SR very sure with no bug at all, than lost all my data! (i have Two of them, and soon 3)

Sr5

Hi,

I have 1x 1.5TB drive in my NS4300N (awaiting another 2 drives from the supplier), it works fine for me at the moment - quick too!

On the 8/10/08 promise e-support advised SR5 will be released in '2 weeks'. watch this space I guess!

Re: nas4300n

When is SR5 coming?

Finally someone replies. I wish the support team replied but hey, I'm not complaining.

I've lost all my data with an SMC NAS a few months back, TWICE!!. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on ME, so you can imagine how careful I am now. I have twice the number of hard drives than I use online, just to XCOPY the lot onto the spare drives once a week. Back breaking job you might say and not cheap but one learns to be careful!!!

I'm quite happy with the box so far I must say. The speed is not bad at all even though I have a 10/100 router (got to change that)

Yes it took forever to finish the task mentioned above but it got there eventually. We'll see what happens when I add yet more drives to it !!! Time will tell, and again I say I am not complaining about you answering nor about the product itself. What encouraged me to get the nas4300n was the fact that there was someone from the support team actually answering this forum, but like everything else that is good, it comes to an abrupt end :(

Such is life!!

Oh yes, one last thing!!!

I hate the fact that NTFS is not supported when I connect a drive to the USB ports at the back of the NAS :( - I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!!

Does anyone uses the dlna plugin on the ns2300n?

I can't get it to work. When i enable dlna plugin the status shows "ON", but some seconds (30- 40) after, the status shows "OFF". The status changes between "ON" and "OFF" every few seconds until i disable dlna....very stupid :-(

In the few seconds the status is "ON", the dlna works and i can play music on my xbox 360 but after few seconds the connection gets lost.

Does anyone have same issues?

P.S. : Sorry for my bad english...

Hi,

I have 1x 1.5TB drive in my NS4300N (awaiting another 2 drives from the supplier), it works fine for me at the moment - quick too!

On the 8/10/08 promise e-support advised SR5 will be released in '2 weeks'. watch this space I guess!

They are telling me that it wont handle past 4TB so when you put drive 2 in you should be ok...

When i put drive 3 in, im doomed.

It runs fine until a reboot is needed which happens, then the file system is corrupted and nothing works to repair it.

Thats why Im hoping that SR5 will expand their 4 TB limit

Does anyone uses the dlna plugin on the ns2300n?

I can't get it to work. When i enable dlna plugin the status shows "ON", but some seconds (30- 40) after, the status shows "OFF". The status changes between "ON" and "OFF" every few seconds until i disable dlna....very stupid :-(

In the few seconds the status is "ON", the dlna works and i can play music on my xbox 360 but after few seconds the connection gets lost.

Does anyone have same issues?

P.S. : Sorry for my bad english...

i have it running.. did you update to sr4 ver 11? Did you dload the recent dlna addin?

Thats what i did to make it work.

I wish i knew how to make it reindex or what makes it index.

I cant see my movies just music and pictures on my ps3

edonkey/bt

On a previously owned NAS, I could browse to my bittorrent client using internet explorer. Can this also be done on the NS4300N? How? :confused:

Thanks

DLNA Plug-In .wma files stutter badly

99% of my entire music collection is .wma lossless but I cannot play any of them via the xbox 360, the music stutters badly. I have a few CD's that were ripped .mp3 and they play fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Active Directory

I have been trying to connect to my Active Directory on a Win2000 server without any luck. Keep getting told "Protocol Control - Service has started. And joined the AD domain failed."

Any ideas anyone please???

To configure the AD in your NAS you have to first configure the NTP server of your NAS to the IP address of your AD server, so it can syncronize the time with your AD... after this, you can add the NAS to your existing AD, like you're already doing... ;)

Regards,

Michael

About the plugins i've seen here, are they compatible with the Promise SmartStore NS2300N?
Is there any development in progress for a webserver plugin, that can support mysql, php, asp.net and ajax (this last two using the open source mono project - http://www.mono-project.com)?
This kind of plugin would be great! :)
I'm not talking for big websites, but it would be a good solution for low/mid enterprises that only need some basic homepage or even a simple intranet page...

Regards,

Michael

PromiseNasDude, are you ever coming back? Last time you posted here was over a month ago...

It's been a few months now since you first let us know about the exchange for quieter NS4300N units and I was just wondering, what's the status of these new improved/quiet units?

Also, any idea when the next firmware version (SR5) will be released? There's been a lot of chatter about how it will fix a lot of things, but again, it's been months now and no sign that it's coming any time soon... It would be GREAT to get some kind of an update...

Thanks!

Eddie

i'm very sure in my heart that promise company kill promisedude for helping us.

Company don't like very much black sheep going outside the rules :)

Peharps he has some problem with hierachy after posting here?

Sorry to disappoint your bad thoughts about Promise. But PromiseNASDude has been out sick. He will return soon.

Sorry to disappoint your bad thoughts about Promise. But PromiseNASDude has been out sick. He will return soon.

no no! i'm not disappoint! :rolleyes:

I relate only an personnal story, when i see a guy from nvidia get flamed because he was posting on a forum about some info.

I prefer to have someone like promisedude, but i'm know the reality of life :eek:

So i was saying some internal thinking :D

To configure the AD in your NAS you have to first configure the NTP server of your NAS to the IP address of your AD server, so it can syncronize the time with your AD... after this, you can add the NAS to your existing AD, like you're already doing... ;)

Regards,

Michael

Thanks for your answer but I'm still having the same problem :(

I set NTP to 192.168.1.19

Domain or Workgroup Name to GCBBS
Domain Controller GCBBS.LOC

Administrator as login and entered the correct password.

I tried upper case, lower case, Name Case and rEVERSE cASE but still failed :(

Any more ideas??

Thanks for your answer but I'm still having the same problem :(

I set NTP to 192.168.1.19

Domain or Workgroup Name to GCBBS
Domain Controller GCBBS.LOC

Administrator as login and entered the correct password.

I tried upper case, lower case, Name Case and rEVERSE cASE but still failed :(

Any more ideas??

di you try as login:
GCBBS\administrator
or
administrator@GCBBS.LOC

does "gcbbs.loc" is your fqdn ?
And do you have make your domain controller the dns server ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!