What's new

Proper Merlin settings for Synology NAS??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

anotherengineer

Good Day,

I have a NAS plugged directly into the router. I do have spanning tree protocol enabled. Is samba or anything else required either enabled/disabled to get good performance and reliability for this on the network?

I can't think of any reason why spanning tree or Samba would have any effect one way or the another on your Synology NAS' performance.

Good Day,

I have a NAS plugged directly into the router. I do have spanning tree protocol enabled. Is samba or anything else required either enabled/disabled to get good performance and reliability for this on the network?
No. Just do not port forward the NAS to the WAN.

I can't think of any reason why spanning tree or Samba would have any effect one way or the another on your Synology NAS' performance.
I think there's one post were someone created a wiring loop. But they may want to bind the MAC and IP so it can't accidentally change under them and lose access.

Good Day,

Mine is a simple setup. I just plugged my Synology NAS into the router and it worked. The only thing I did really was to assign it a fixed IP address. If I need to access any files away from home, I can connect to my ASUS router via OpenVPN and then I can access all the files on the NAS, as long as I specify the IP address and not "Diskstation". If I want to access my files remotely from a mobile phone, I use DS File (again, via OpenVPN).

ok good to know. No effect from any pc using/access it on the home network either?

Nothing special needs to be configured on the router. The only suggestion I may make would be to configure a DHCP reservation perhaps for the NAS to ensure it always gets the same IP.

Don't overthink it. Just connect the Synology to the router, for good measure set a reserved IP address for the Synology on the Asus-Merlin LAN > DHCP Server's manual assignment section, and your done for the basic setup on the router.