What's new

Proposed home network topology - Please review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Saqr42

Occasional Visitor
Good day :)

I am planning a network for my home, a building of 4 apartments. Two heads are better than one and so I want to get a review of the proposed topology attached here.

The downlink from telco to home is Fiber 200 Mbps.

Thankfully, please review and tell if there are any missing parts or issues to consider, including possible pitfalls or traffic considerations.

Home Network [Proposed]-Topology EN.png

Is this providing internet service to apartment renters ?
if so, you should investigate the liability laws for you providing access across your network versus each renter contracting with an isp for internet service.

what is the physical construction of the building/apartments and the physical layout and size ? A plot plan and elevation sketch is useful.

it looks like either way you will want to choose equipment that supports vlans, possibly a separate router

Good day :)

I am planning a network for my home, a building of 4 apartments. Two heads are better than one and so I want to get a review of the proposed topology attached here.

The downlink from telco to home is Fiber 200 Mbps.

Thankfully, please review and tell if there are any missing parts or issues to consider, including possible pitfalls or traffic considerations.

View attachment 38354

No problem.
A POE switch should support IGMP.
Recommendation: IGMP, QoS, (VLAN, if you need)

what is the physical construction of the building/apartments and the physical layout and size ? A plot plan and elevation sketch is useful.
The building is a traditional brick and mortar of total 400 sq. meters space. Plot plan is not available. Apartments are not rented.
I am already looking for POE switches with vLANs and LACP for link aggregation with the Synology server. vLAN feature is needed since I plan to separate iot devices from other devices' traffic. Please give recommendations and consideration to note in order to buy the most fit devices. I anticipate there will be moderate to high network use since the number of permanent connected clients is at least 20 including the Synology file and media server and a total of 10 mobile phones.
Where is the network bottleneck ? Is there a minimum down-link or the 200 Mbps will suffice ? Do I need a cabinet or enclosure for network devices ?

Updated network plan is attached.

Attachments

• Home Network [Proposed]-Topology EN(1).png
    Home Network [Proposed]-Topology EN(1).png
    332.9 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
I think it is a terrible idea. You need to let the ISP install internet at each apartment.

If you are going to do it you need to distribute through switches and wire with a least 1 gig internet connection. And when they exceed it you need to plan multiple internet connections on your router and switches. You need to delete the universal NAS and let each apartment take care of their own needs.

PS
If the runs for copper are too long then you need to plan for fiber.

Last edited:
You need to let the ISP install internet at each apartment.
The design and installation will be carried out by an IT network builder professionals, they already gave me a price quote.

Last edited:
I think you will have a big headache from all the issues from your users when it's not done their way. Unless you learn to network it is going to cost you a lot as you pay your professionals to deal with all the issues.

Think about it. You are doing a half butt ISP job and cloud system all rolled into one.

Last edited:
I am already looking for POE switches with vLANs and LACP for link aggregation with the Synology server. vLAN feature is needed since I plan to separate iot devices from other devices' traffic.

Probably don't need POE on the switch - at some point in the future, you could be limited by available power - I would power the AP's local.

Make sure the AP's support SSID to VLAN mapping, not all do...

IPTV could be a problem, but there, content is also usually delivered on a VLAN, so just make sure that subnetting and VLAN setup as a clear rhyme/reason/method of deploying the VLAN's

Planning here is absolutely essential to keep things easier to maintain or fix 5 years down the road when something breaks.

Probably don't need POE on the switch - at some point in the future, you could be limited by available power - I would power the AP's local.
I need POE for minimal wiring of the outdoor cameras and the indoor access points. That's why I am also calculating the POE budget which is the maximum output to power linked devices.

Make sure the AP's support SSID to VLAN mapping, not all do...
Thanks for informing, new requirement to know.
IPTV could be a problem, but there, content is also usually delivered on a VLAN, so just make sure that subnetting and VLAN setup as a clear rhyme/reason/method of deploying the VLAN's
Shall I thus make a vLAN for the IPTV TVs and another one for the cameras ?

Shall I thus make a vLAN for the IPTV TVs and another one for the cameras ?

IPTV usually refers to paid Broadcast TV content over IP - similar to Cable TV

Many installs these days, that content is VLAN'ed out from the internet data side - depends on what you're delivering.

Still, might be beneficial to put the TV's/Set Top Boxes on a dedicated VLAN,esp, if at some time in the future one might want to geo-unlock content by way of a VPN client.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!