What's new

Solved Pros and Cons of Static IP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RTWZ80

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could share the pros and cons of getting a static IP address from your ISP? My new ISP is on CGNAT so IP addresses are private. I've been experiencing lag whenever I use VOIP calls on WhatsApp, GoogleMeets, MSTeams etc vs my old ISP which uses regular non-CGNAT public IP addresses. Will Static IP help resolve the lag problem? And no I'm not hosting a website or server etc. I'd like to seek more information particularly on the downside risks as I've been reading some posts on Reddit where users with Static IPs tend be be more easily tracked and targeted by hackers. Thanks in advance.

If you are currently on CGNAT, provided the Static IP you are given is not within one of the reserved ranges (guys we've seen stranger), then you'll no longer be using CGNAT!
If you have a hole in your firewall then having a Static IP does mean that serial attackers can find you again - but make sure your devices are secure and there really should be no issue!

Thanks for that, I was wondering if using Static IP with a VPN would be more secure than without? Assuming that the network configuration would be similar to having a Dynamic IP?

Security isn't really an issue with a static IP vs. dynamic. Most people's dynamic IP addresses rarely change in any case. Sure, there might be an issue if you're some gamer-kiddie that pisses off your opponents causing them to DoS your IP address. But assuming you're a grown-up you'll be OK. You'll just be going back to what you had with your previous ISP.

As always, just make sure you're not enabling any services on the router to the internet that you don't need to (e.g. web access). The VPN question is mostly unrelated here.

If you're not intending to run a server of some kind, there is no advantage whatsoever in getting a static IP address. Spend your money elsewhere.

If you're not intending to run a server of some kind, there is no advantage whatsoever in getting a static IP address. Spend your money elsewhere.

Well, in theory depending on how heavily loaded the carrier's NAT device is (and whether it is directly in the path or causes a less than optimal route) a public IP could potentially reduce latency, but I can't imagine it would be a noticeable amount......

There are rare applications (and especially gaming boxes) that don't like overload NAT without ability to map inbound ports too.

So there are potential advantages, but likely not worth the cost, and possibly IPv6 if the ISP supports it would solve those issues with no extra cost.

I think you missed why he's considering this at all. It's to solve the problem he's having with VoIP calls since being switched to CGNAT. VoIP might be considered a server depending on how it's configured.

Well, in theory depending on how heavily loaded the carrier's NAT device is (and whether it is directly in the path or causes a less than optimal route) a public IP could potentially reduce latency, but I can't imagine it would be a noticeable amount......

There are rare applications (and especially gaming boxes) that don't like overload NAT without ability to map inbound ports too.

So there are potential advantages, but likely not worth the cost, and possibly IPv6 if the ISP supports it would solve those issues with no extra cost.
Thanks for this and unfortunately the new ISP doesn't support IPv6 and is on CGNAT, so they're providing Static IPs (for a fee) on request to 'fix' the CGNAT issue.

Security isn't really an issue with a static IP vs. dynamic. Most people's dynamic IP addresses rarely change in any case. Sure, there might be an issue if you're some gamer-kiddie that pisses off your opponents causing them to DoS your IP address. But assuming you're a grown-up you'll be OK. You'll just be going back to what you had with your previous ISP.

As always, just make sure you're not enabling any services on the router to the internet that you don't need to (e.g. web access). The VPN question is mostly unrelated here.
Thanks for this. I'm more worried about my kids getting DoS-ed as they're ones doing the gaming. I've enabled the whole AiProtection suite, DoS prevention and firewall features on my Asus router. And have Antivirus software on all my devices. Hope this'll be enough.

Thanks for this. I'm more worried about my kids getting DoS-ed as they're ones doing the gaming. I've enabled the whole AiProtection suite, DoS prevention and firewall features on my Asus router. And have Antivirus software on all my devices. Hope this'll be enough.
You should be fine. You'll be in no different a situation than the vast majority of internet users.

If you still have problems with VoIP I suggest you temporarily turn off DoS Protection and AiProtection on the router to see if either of those are the cause.

Just an update, the VOIP lag issue seems to have 'resolved' itself after I brought it up with the ISP's tech support people. There's the occasional stutter but nothing as bad as when I initially got my service activated. Looks like I'll hold off on the Static IP for now until I really need it. Thanks all for the advice in troubleshooting the issue.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!