What's new

Pros/Cons of enabling IPv6

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Luckily I still have a screenshot of that from the former connection.

https://ipv6-test.com/

Great to see. Not sure it gives you anything, but great that you were able to score well. Still not perfect, however!

In order to get ICMP reachability, as you know, requires accessing debug screens in hidden pages on recent firmware builds on Netgear routers. Or in Asus routers, properly checking the correct boxes in the setup. That alone tells the whole story.

Without ICMP packets reaching the client, the benefits of IPv6 are solely in the address space. But is there a single material website that is not accessible without IPv6? or a single client that can’t access the Internet because we have run out of IPv4 addresses?

Exactly. Because it hasn’t been widely adopted, much less implemented uniformly. IPv6 is the standard that isn’t and has been “the next big thing” for decades.

Great to see. Not sure it gives you anything, but great that you were able to score well. Still not perfect, however!

In order to get ICMP reachability, as you know, requires accessing debug screens in hidden pages on recent firmware builds on Netgear routers. Or in Asus routers, properly checking the correct boxes in the setup. That alone tells the whole story.

Without ICMP packets reaching the client, the benefits of IPv6 are solely in the address space. But is there a single material website that is not accessible without IPv6? or a single client that can’t access the Internet because we have run out of IPv4 addresses?

Exactly. Because it hasn’t been widely adopted, much less implemented uniformly. IPv6 is the standard that isn’t and has been “the next big thing” for decades.

The reason the score isn't perfect is because rogers doesn't assign a hostname on the Ipv6 side if they did it would be 20/20.

Without ICMP enabled you will score lower in that test than the 18/20 I was getting. I know this because I had to enable ICMP rule in windows to allow it, there was no router modification needed.

I don't really see a reason one shouldn't be using it if your ISP supports it since its dual stack anyways.

The reason the score isn't perfect is because rogers doesn't assign a hostname on the Ipv6 side if they did it would be 20/20.

Without ICMP enabled you will score lower in that test than the 18/20 I was getting. I know this because I had to enable ICMP rule in windows to allow it, there was no router modification needed.

I don't really see a reason one shouldn't be using it if your ISP supports it since its dual stack anyways.

Sounds like additional exposure with zero benefit.

FYI this article describes pretty well what needs to be done to open up windows firewall for ipv6.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi.../windows-firewall/create-an-inbound-icmp-rule

The gist is create a new inbound rule for protocol icmpv6 allowing these parameters:

Packet Too Big
Parameter Problem
Echo Request (only this one is "required" to pass ipv6-test.com icmp reachable)
Neighbor Discovery Solicitation
Neighbor Discovery Advertisement

Just out of curiosity i enabled IPv6 on my router using "6in4" since my ISP does not provide IPv6 and does not even have any plans to do so in near future.
I used he.net which is well known IPv6 provider.You can register there for free and create an IPv6 tunnel using their free tunnel broker service
https://tunnelbroker.net/
After you log in you can create an IPv6 tunnel - it requires you to allow incoming ICMP ping for a time of tunnel creation otherwise it will fail.
When tunnel is created you just need to copy tunnel data to your router's IPv6 connection window and that's it.
I had to switch it off because my work VPN connection got very slow. Main reason is because i wasn't coming from my country and also Netflix became conflicted and unwatchable - i got full USA content available without real possibility to play it, Netflix most likely detects that you are coming from the tunnel and denies playback, so i was offered a lot but could not want anything anymore. So nice experiment but until my ISP implements IPv6, i don't see a reason to play arround with tunneling IPv6.

Last edited:
The fact ISPs in 2020 don't support IPv6 is another. :)

I have attempted using IPv6 on several occasions but my ISP utilizes cgnat and it never works correctly even with their cable modem in bridge mode. IPv4 is working very well and I don’t see my ISP’s implementation of IPv6 improving anytime soon.

I enabled IPv6 for a while to test one of John's builds, and left it enabled when I got ambitions to work on FreshJR_QoS for IPv6 compatibility. But I disabled it last night because I kept having Windows 10 WiFi and/or DNS issues with my work laptop. I think it's just an issue with my work laptop anyway, because even after disabling IPv6 on the WiFi adapter, I still saw odd behavior.

In general, I feel that if IPv6 might even hint at causing a problem, there is no downside in disabling it since no one NEEDS it. We just want to try it because "it's there."

@dave14305 issue could be that Windows in your work laptop wants to connect to specific AD DNS servers in your work LAN, which is seen as firewall and Skynet as "DNS rebind attack". At least i see such warnings from my home laptop.

Luckily I still have a screenshot of that from the former connection.

https://ipv6-test.com/
I got 19/20. the last point would be a hostname...does unbound resolve this "issue" if I want to be "perfect"?

ipv6test.png

I got 19/20. the last point would be a hostname...does unbound resolve this "issue" if I want to be "perfect"?

View attachment 23215

Good question but I'm no longer using cable to test that. My fiber connection is IPv4 only. I'm not sure unbound will solve that but someone will have to test it.

I have had IPv6 native from my ISP for the last two years or more. I get 18/20 on the test (link above) and don't have any issues that I know of. :)

I do remember that when I did test IPv6 or not, IPv6 'enabled' was faster. :)

I have had IPv6 native from my ISP for the last two years or more. I get 18/20 on the test (link above) and don't have any issues that I know of. :)

I do remember that when I did test IPv6 or not, IPv6 'enabled' was faster. :)

In every instrumented test I’ve read, IPv6 is slower than IPv4. That includes tests that argue strongly in favor of IPv6!

In every instrumented test I’ve read, IPv6 is slower than IPv4. That includes tests that argue strongly in favor of IPv6!

I can't and don't run instrumented tests. I just see how my network behaves compared to an IPv4 only network. :)

Even with the same router, RT-AX88U, same Diversion, Skynet and Unbound scripts, and same Fibre connection (0/1ms latency unloaded, 3 to 15ms loaded). And using the same computer (mine).

I'm not talking about maximum throughput. I'm just seeing how fast pages load for me on my standard reading lists (including this forum).

Running 6in4 tunnel for years with no problem.
This very forum is fully IPv6 by default as Google. Facebook, wikipedia, the guardian and many more.

Running a server is one thing. Managing a home network, which is mainly consuming content rather than serving it, is another. What is a reason that a home or office network would run IPv6?

That's not the proper question.
The proper question is what benefit would I get by disabling IPv6?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!