What's new

Pros/Cons of enabling IPv6

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dave14305

Part of the Furniture
The other morning I enabled IPv6 on my router as a test for another issue. I didn't really know what to expect, and I eventually disabled it and had to reset/restore from backup to get things back to normal with IPv4.

I've read some of the older SmallNetBuilder articles on IPv6. My ISP is Comcast and seems very IPv6 ready. My test-ipv6.com results were all good.

But it was damn scary not really being sure of how things worked with IPv6.

What are the pros/cons of enabling IPv6? I suppose the pro is learning and getting ahead of the curve. I'm more interested in the cons, or major differences for us Merlin users who run a those cool scripts like Skynet and Diversion and FreshJR_QoS.

So what are the cons?
  • I assume Diversion will work the same, but will Pixelserv?
  • How about Skynet? I don't recall seeing many IPv6 ipsets out there.
  • What does Adaptive QoS do with IPv6 traffic?
  • How about my aging HP printer? Seems it will only pull an IPv4 address.
  • How do you rate the firmware support for IPv6? What other features may not work as I'm used to?
I'm mostly afraid of being a newbie with IPv6 after so many years learning the nuts and bolts of IPv4.

Have you made the switch? Any regrets?

The other morning I enabled IPv6 on my router as a test for another issue. I didn't really know what to expect, and I eventually disabled it and had to reset/restore from backup to get things back to normal with IPv4.

I've read some of the older SmallNetBuilder articles on IPv6. My ISP is Comcast and seems very IPv6 ready. My test-ipv6.com results were all good.

What are the pros/cons of enabling IPv6? I suppose the pro is learning and getting ahead of the curve. I'm more interested in the cons, or major differences for us Merlin users who run a those cool scripts like Skynet and Diversion and FreshJR_QoS.

So what are the cons?
  • How do you rate the firmware support for IPv6? What other features may not work as I'm used to?
I'm mostly afraid of being a newbie with IPv6 after so many years learning the nuts and bolts of IPv4.

I’m running IPv6, “just works”. (Dual stack - native).
Diversion/Pixelserv/Skynet working just fine for me.
I’m not using QoS, so cant speak to that.

Last edited:
Am running IPV6 Native on two AC68U's. Comcast static IPV4 dynamic IPV6. DoT to Quad9 with DNSSEC. Routers share a Comcast modem with two other routers. I do run QOS on the Asus and AIProtection. No issues other than RAM usage that climbs over a week which a scheduled reboot solves. No user complaints. No browsing failures.

My previous Cable internet connection had ipv6 and I didn't really have any issues running dual stack. On that providers network I actually found IPv6 game me slightly lower pings.

Skynet doesn't support IPv6 but runs fine with it enabled but you only have protection on the IPv4 side.

Diversion supports IPv6.

Never used AQoS so no comment.

All other scripts were fine.

The firmware supports both tunneled and native versions of IPv6 I was using native and it was good.

Last edited:

So what are the cons?

I use comcast and have great service with IPV6 enabled. I have 60+ devices running at any given time and QoS is not strained as badly then if I have IPV6 turned off. Leave connection running for weeks at a time. all devices Auto configure to IPV6, I don't have to worry about assigning a static address (only have to do that with IPV4) to it, it works fine completely stateless. Devices auto configure with no issues.

The only downside I can point at is that IPV6 has to run differently than IPV4 as far as firewall is concerned. (a lot more has to be open and free to traverse the internet)

If you're using Freshjr script, I believe its recommended you disable IPV6 as well. That's only if you're using his script and adaptive QOS.

Maybe the next update to FreshJR will change that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the next update to FreshJR will change that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess that will depend on if he has an IPv6 connection to test with.

So what are the cons?

Enabling IPv6 is pretty seamless, I've been running stateless native IPv6 with a /56 for a few months now without any concerns. The majority of web traffic is IPv4 so missing out on some of FreshJR's hardcoded rules is not a huge deal as the regular Adaptive QOS still marks other packets accordingly.

As for Skynet due to the nature of IPv6, blacklisting isn't effective. To put it into perspective, my /56 subnet equals 4,722,366,482,869,645,213,696 addresses, and that's considered a standard residential allocation. The bright side is "bad guys" also have the same problem when trying to track/target you :p But IPv4 won't be going away any time soon so Skynet will still serve its purpose.

All in all, I don't see any reason not to enable it.

Ipv4 has been exhausted and therefore broken for some time. Carrier nat is now the norm for 3g/4g mobile networks in Australia and for some fixed line connections.
The carrier nat will often make things like IPsec or sip impossible to use. And they are very common protocols. I would hate to imagine the industries that need to deal with more exotic protocols.

As more and more connections are forced to carrier nat more will break.

If you just go to Facebook and YouTube, ipv4 will be fine for you for another decade.

If you're using Freshjr script, I believe its recommended you disable IPV6 as well. That's only if you're using his script and adaptive QOS.

That's not true, IPv6 works ok with his script. It's just certain features don't work, but others do.

As for Adaptive QoS - it works fine with IPv6.

me -> using AC86U, latest stable Merlin FW, Adaptive QoS = ON, FreshJR script (my own slightly tweaked version*) = ON : all for the past 4+ months, no issues at all.

* my tweaks:
Include DoT traffic into "Net Control Packets"
Include IPv6 NNTP traffic (usenet newsgroup binary downloads from IPv6 usenet providers) into "File Downloads"
Something else I don't remember right now.

Another point to note, using IPv6 with dual WAN on Asus routers requires both WAN connections to be either native or to use tunnelling; you can’t have one native and the other using tunnelling.

AiProtection issue.
Would like to know why my RT-AC66U_B1 does not have this "AiProtection" issue while the RT-AC68U (which is basically the same router hardware wise) does. The AC66U_B1 was up for 43 days before I loaded the 384.14 Alpha2 version of the AC68U firmware.
Guess it will remain a puzzlement!

Maybe a silly question, but in regards to DoT and ipv6:

Does it matter what order the DoT server addresses are listed?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 07DCD836-1123-40BF-BCD2-E62F7DA483BF.jpeg
    07DCD836-1123-40BF-BCD2-E62F7DA483BF.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 655

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!