What's new

Pros/Cons of enabling IPv6

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Here in germany "IPv4 only" internet connections are no no longer common.
Either you get Dual-Stack or DS-Lite.

This is honestly what is needed here to make IPv6 a reality - mandated compliance.

But we do not have a forward thinking FCC in the US.

I consider IPv6 to be over-engineered. They set out to resolve one specific issue (the limited address space of a 32-bit IPv4), and started bolting so many things on top of it, provide so many variants in implementation, even ultimately adding NAT6 support for some people who complained they still wanted to use NAT, that ultimately it's become a huge mess, slowing down its implementation.

My upstream ISP had a 6rd tunnel available (if you searched REAL hard for the hidden information about it) many years ago. They dropped it about three or four years ago saying "we are moving to a different architecture". Four years later, nobody knows yet if/when/how they will implement IPv6...

Have you honestly ever used any of those websites? Looks underwhelming to me.
Not that i know. Just mentioned that there is such a thing. I am pretty sure none of big sites will be IPv6-only for a while.
My ISP does not even offer IPv6 to business customers as a regular commercial service.
IPv6 for home users are not even planned. Until they'll run out of IPv4 ranges i suspect.
I recently asked my ISP techies about IPv6 plans and they gave me answer mentioned above.
From my former jobs i have enough acquintances in ISP networking division both in planning and maintenance
who can clearly answer this question, so this information came from people directly involved with network and can be trusted.
Our mobile ISPs heavily NAT their network and you can not even have a public IPv4 address. Only private one.

This is honestly what is needed here to make IPv6 a reality - mandated compliance.

But we do not have a forward thinking FCC in the US.

And our CRTC here in Canada is (more often than not) in lockstep with the FCC...but that may change moving forward. If the rest of the world goes that way, we north americans will have to pull up our socks and follow suit.
The opsec difficulty you mentioned for full compliance with the standard should be the biggest concern. There are bigger issues at play for the moment...but this is a factor in and around them.
I'm not particularly concerned with the relatively infinitesimal performance degradation because I've faith that the technology will evolve to match or surpass its predecessor...once that's retired.

I've running an HE 6in4 tunnel since 2009, no problems.
My browsers are IPv6 by default, most sites are dual stack(including this forum) and I connect over IPv6.
The AC 68 router works flawlessly.
I like adventure!!!

Of course, the big sites are not IPv6 only. They don't need to be. :)

@JohnB_123 yes. But if you're using the link above to 'count' those sites, it is over a year old already too. :)

Ironically, after reasoning through all this, I am now rethinking whether or not I should be running IPv6. Truly wish there were performance or other benefits.

Ironically, after reasoning through all this, I am now rethinking whether or not I should be running IPv6. Truly wish there were performance or other benefits.

Being ready for what’s probably coming down the pike in the future is my rationale. Early adopters should be regarded as beta testers, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fact that Netgear buries the ICMP portion of IPv6 in its scarcely documented "debug" page just goes to the heart of it all. Between the router manufacturers, the ISPs and each .gov (not to mention users) IPv6 has an uphill climb for adoption without major changes.

The fact that Netgear buries the ICMP portion of IPv6 in its scarcely documented "debug" page just goes to the heart of it all. Between the router manufacturers, the ISPs and each .gov (not to mention users) IPv6 has an uphill climb for adoption without major changes.

To speak to that, taking the first 2 levels of Hurricane Electric’s v6 “certification” and then following the breadcrumbs in Merlin’s firmware got me going in fairly short order once I had some faith that people who knew what they were doing when they set up the trail and workings.

Last edited:
To speak to that, taking the first 2 levels of Hurricane Electric’s v6 “certification” and then following the breadcrumbs in Merlin’s firmware got me going in fairly short order once I had some faith that people who knew what they were doing set up the trail and workings.

Same here and before that with the now defunct gogonet/gogo6.

I've running an HE 6in4 tunnel since 2009, no problems.

Unless this has changed, Netflix will refuse to work when using an HE tunnel, because they consider it to be a potential way to bypass geolocking, like VPN services.

Unless this has changed, Netflix will refuse to work when using an HE tunnel, because they consider it to be a potential way to bypass geolocking, like VPN services.

Can't comment on that.I don't use Netflix, not enough time in the day.

It has changed: Netflix works fine here with HE tunnel in place.

It has changed: Netflix works fine here with HE tunnel in place.
Depends on the country i guess. For me closest HE tunnel is in Sweden and Netflix stopped to work completely. Shows more content than usually, but does not plays anything even content which was available without HE tunnel complaining that i am using either VPN or tunnel.

Last edited:
That list of IPv6 only sites was all the motivation I needed. An opportunity to play Loops of Zen, are you kidding? ;)

My ISP supports native IPv6, and I used a Dual Stack config for quite some time. I disabled it for the same reason that I don't have ten credit cards - more attack surface with no immediate benefit. Like the cards, I am happy knowing IPv6 will be there ready when we need it. In the meantime, let the adventurous play Loops of Zen.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!