What's new

Providing internet access to a large number of WiFi users

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

uly

New Around Here
Initial Plan:

- A building with large number of Wireless users, possibly up to 300, all DHCP
- Wireless users will have internet access
- Wireless routers will be used in place of access points to reduce cost.
- Wireless users can be separated to different subnets
- Dual-WAN router for two internet connections, I think Cisco RV042 is a good choice.
- WiFi network will be used for internet access only

Optional
pfSense for captive portal

Questions:

What DHCP server should I use? RV042 is limited to 50 leases.. Or can it have individual DHCP range per port? The DHCP server or servers should be able to supply up to 300 IP address.

Should I use a managed switch for the access points?

What else can I do to improve the network?

I am not so familiar with a managed switch. If you connected an access point to a port with its own VLAN, will all the wireless devices connected to that access point fall under that VLAN?

> What DHCP server should I use?

Most "routers" have a limited amount of memory - go with a dedicated DHCP server - linux and BSD have robust solutions - pfSense is a good place to start there...

> Should I use a managed switch for the access points?

Yes - and also consider for loading and growth, a good rule of thumb is 10 active users per AP - enterprise gear will get you more there, but I would not consider more that 20 users per AP to maintain a decent class of service

> What else can I do to improve the network?

Don't go with consumer grade HW - look at Cisco, Aruba, or similar... with 300 active users on WiFi, should consider lightweight AP's that can be managed centrally.

How close will these 300 Wifi users be to each other? Paint us a better picture of your layout.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!