What's new

Python Considerations for the RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gatorback

Regular Contributor
Greetings,

I am interested in periodically triggering python scripts on the router. Because this adds workload to the router, I would like to measure constrained router resources. As I understand it, the key constrained resources include:

* 256MB of RAM
* CPU utilization

I plan to use python to fire off messages through a SMS gateway, so I do not expect it to consume much CPU resources (though if this is not correct, I would like someone to comment as such). Gigabytes of flash memory available via USB. My questions are:

1) Is there any other router resource I should consider?
2) What are the preferred techniques \ commands to monitor python utilization of constrained router resources (i.e. top)?
3) What (if any) are the lessons learned \ pitfalls to avoid when using python on an RT-AC68U?

If you have had success with python on your router, please include in your reply the model of your router and any relevant details (nature of python tasking), and any measurements of python resource utilization. I look forward to a constructive replies.

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/