What's new

Utilize the robot to assist in analyzing router logs.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The copy and paste trick mentioned by thelonelycoder caught my eye. It would be fantastic to have ready-made packaging tools or installation templates available for easy copy-pasting. Just tweak the version number, and it's ready to directly publish software packages. How great would that be! 😆

I haven't written installation scripts before, so I can't expect to achieve success overnight. Moreover, it may require starting from scratch to learn how to build scripts and package them. This may involve learning a new programming language, understanding the process of packaging and installation, and solving any errors and issues that may arise. While this process can be a learning and growth opportunity for experienced developers, it can be challenging and frustrating for newcomers, and may take a long time to digest.

I want to express special thanks to thelonelycoder and Viktor Jaep for providing a clear guide, outlining the conditions that scripts must meet to be accepted. Additionally, they have provided some technical requirements, such as the need for scripts to have their own SSH user interface and how to handle the uninstallation process. Moreover, the wiki and community forums offer additional learning and support resources for newcomers. This has given me a preliminary understanding. Thank you! 👍

I was thinking through this a bit more and I was wondering if there are other areas that GenAI could help out. For instance there are add ons like Skynet, Diversion, AGH, all of which have some nice dashboards but maybe you wanted to know some stats that aren't out of the box, like, "What client is most likely to have a phishing problem?", "Clients that may be infected with malware", "What is my risk factor for a DoS attack?". GenAI would correlate stats from multiple logs to determine which clients/risks may align to certain patterns. I'm sure there are a lot of use cases but I'm looking forward to the day where looking for a needle in a haystack to do RCAs is long gone (professionally and personally)

I was thinking through this a bit more and I was wondering if there are other areas that GenAI could help out. For instance there are add ons like Skynet, Diversion, AGH, all of which have some nice dashboards but maybe you wanted to know some stats that aren't out of the box, like, "What client is most likely to have a phishing problem?", "Clients that may be infected with malware", "What is my risk factor for a DoS attack?". GenAI would correlate stats from multiple logs to determine which clients/risks may align to certain patterns. I'm sure there are a lot of use cases but I'm looking forward to the day where looking for a needle in a haystack to do RCAs is long gone (professionally and personally)

I'm glad my thoughts could provide you with some inspiration. I believe GenAI can play a role in identifying patterns, predicting risks, and providing valuable insights to improve network security and business processes. Particularly, router system logs serve as a hub for all service message statuses, yet these logs are often verbose and hard to understand. By employing bot technology, we can transform these logs into readable messages, thus offering guidance for troubleshooting.

Furthermore, we could even integrate this technology into smart speakers. Imagine a scenario akin to those in sci-fi movies, where a smart speaker informs the owner via voice prompts, such as: 'Our system is currently under a DoS attack, would you like to initiate countermeasures?' or 'Our router may have been compromised by an unknown worm virus, causing some functionalities to fail. Would you consider resetting it?'

Sorry, perhaps I've watched too many sci-fi movies, but I believe these concepts hold potential applications.

Last edited:
I'm glad this initial model has sparked creativity among netizens, as I'm not particularly adept at /bin/sh development. Although many enthusiastic netizens are willing to help me, I'm aware of the potential challenges I may face in the /bin/sh domain in the short term. @JGrana privately expressed a deep interest to me, and I encouraged him to further develop this concept into a /bin/sh script, including turning it into an automated installation script for easier promotion of its use. With his help, this concept can be realized quickly, and through the script, I can also learn some skills that I lack. John, I'm truly grateful to you; having you is wonderful!

I also welcome other users to develop any applications they wish. After all, the possibilities are endless when a group of people brainstorm together.

I'm glad this initial model has sparked creativity among netizens, as I'm not particularly adept at /bin/sh development. Although many enthusiastic netizens are willing to help me, I'm aware of the potential challenges I may face in the /bin/sh domain in the short term. @JGrana privately expressed a deep interest to me, and I encouraged him to further develop this concept into a /bin/sh script, including turning it into an automated installation script for easier promotion of its use. With his help, this concept can be realized quickly, and through the script, I can also learn some skills that I lack. John, I'm truly grateful to you; having you is wonderful!

I also welcome other users to develop any applications they wish. After all, the possibilities are endless when a group of people brainstorm together.
Partnering up with @JGrana is a good thing, @aru! Hope your partnership is successful, and that you pick up a lot of good scripting knowledge... Once you guys have it published on github, I'll see if I can contribute anything! :)

This is awesome news. I really appreciate you bringing this to the community and @JGrana for lending a hand in developing this. If you are looking for guinea pigs beta testers, let me know.

Reactions: aru
Is there going to be "Leave me alone, I had enough!" voice message? Looking at some signatures around it will be coming quite often. 🤭

Ok, looking for guinea pigs (aka beta testers)!
As @aru said, I used his original script and was somewhat impressed with the results from Google Gemini AI. ~80% pretty good comments, a few, well, somewhat interesting ;-)

The original script was based on python. Knowing that some will not want to install python/pip and the fact I’m not good at all with python, I decided to convert it to /bin/sh (no bash needed) and add some bells and whistles, an install/uninstall ala Addons method and a Readme.

A few caveats:

1) I’m no html programmer. I am learning via this script - but the Addon web page is pretty primitive. I would like it to have a similar look and feel to things like spdmerlin, etc. - (where’s @Jack Yaz when you need him - LOL). I also would (and am researching) a “Refresh” button for the web page. Unfortunately you have to run “genailogs” from a command line (or maybe cron) to get results updates…

2) Speaking of cron - that’s on my todo list. Add/remove a cron job. Kind of on the fence since the log (or logs) are dynamic and every run of genailogs is a “snapshot” of some recent period of time.

3) Some of the bells and whistles (command line option):

noweb - show the question (and log) and results to the screen (stdout) rather than update the web page. If genailogs is run from stdin, it pipes the output through more. If run from a script or a redirect - it just streams everything (good for scripting).

verbose - show the q/a to the screen and update the web page.

watch - run genailogs in a continuous loop every SLDELAY seconds (default = 5 minutes) and show on the screen (stdout). Press any key to exit.
Genailogs can send multiple log files. The default is just /tmp/syslog.log. If you want others, just add them to the LOGFILES variable in the conf file. I have skynet added to mine.
You can also adjust the number of lines of the log file sent for analysis. The default is 40 on the day genailogs is run. Edit NUMLINES in the conf to adjust this.
The github Readme has more details.

4) Don’t shoot the messenger - the results can be pretty helpful - it discovered 2 devices on my network asking for the same IP address. But, there are times where it’s results are a bit “obtuse”.

5) Genailogs requires a Google Gemini API key. It’s pretty easy, @aru gives good instructions.
Go to the link, get a Key and add it to the .conf file.

Ok, if you want to try it out, here is my github page with genailogs. Look over the Readme to install and how to use all the command line options.

Ok, looking for guinea pigs (aka beta testers)!

Great job, you've turned your ideas into reality. Additionally, I'd suggest creating a new topic to highlight your unique features, including the automatic installation and deletion scripts. Everyone is welcome to use them and provide feedback, which not only increases exposure but also users problem collection without any confusion with the original Python script.

Good idea. I just add an "update" function. Much easier going forward.
I'll create a new thread.
You original idea lives on!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!