What's new

Q: Asus App 2022 Version

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is a very Android centric answer. iOS has pretty great sandboxing of apps.
No...:eek:

The recommendations above are for using the App when connected to your WLAN. It is working on the LAN side only in this case. Your Web browser may be compromised too by malicious extension. You access the router’s GUI with it, right?

Best to use OpenVPN or Instant Guard.

By the way @bbunge, I just have noticed this Asus App has some issues when used through OpenVPN server. I have no way to diagnose what’s going on at the moment. It was working fine in Canada, but now I’m about 3000km away and the App is saying No Connection. The OpenVPN server is good and router’s GUI access is fine. I mean, don’t count on it too much when you’re away. I can’t run InstantGuard because the router is in Double NAT behind my firewall. It wants public IP address.

The recommendations above are for using the App when connected to your WLAN. It is working on the LAN side only in this case. Your Web browser may be compromised too by malicious extension. You access the router’s GUI with it, right?
But it's much safer than a phone. Phones can be infected by a text message. PC? There is no text message. The most important thing is I don't like Router Apps.
I say 'Do not trust your router' every time here.;) I never trust any of my network system. I also use VPN server sometimes but I don't trust it.

Last edited:
I never trust any of my network system.

What do you do in this case? No network and no Internet connection? You obviously do have Internet connection.

But it's much safer than a phone. Phones can't infected by a text message. PC? There is no text message. The most important thing is I don't like Router Apps.
I say 'Do not trust your router' every time here.;) I never trust any of my network system. I also use VPN server sometimes but I don't trust it.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....

By the way @bbunge, I just have noticed this Asus App has some issues when used through OpenVPN server. I have no way to diagnose what’s going on at the moment. It was working fine in Canada, but now I’m about 3000km away and the App is saying No Connection. The OpenVPN server is good and router’s GUI access is fine. I mean, don’t count on it too much when you’re away. I can’t run InstantGuard because the router is in Double NAT behind my firewall. It wants public IP address.
I have not been more than 150 miles away in 2 1/2 years and that was one time. Pretty sure I tested connection via OpenVPN and Instant Guard and do not remember having issues. But that was three firmware versions ago and things have changed?

Clearwater Beach? The Columbia on Sand Key is a good place to eat...

Not sure what’s wrong. The OpenVPN App connects in 2 seconds and the Server works properly. I see my ISP, the DNS servers, the router’s GUI. Asus App says No Connection.

It’s a beach, but further South in Caribbean.

Ah... that security link you mention is the one security threat we have mentioned before. Best to use OpenVPN or Instant Guard.

Edit: The remote access the app enables is the same as enabling remote access in the router GUI Administration/System/Remote Access Config. It allows anyone from the internet to try to log into your router using port 8443 (default) or any other port you choose. Bots find the open port and begin to try user/password combos to break into your router. So, it is best to avoid the possibility of the router and thus your network from being hacked. Turn off remote access in the GUI and use a VPN instead.
It's not the same. Because of CG-NAT I am unable to access Web GUI from outside. But I can access router functions through the iOS Asus Router app connected via Security Link.

I have also mapped a static route to my router via Tailscale through my QNAP NAS. this also enables a 2nd way to access Web GUI for me thorugh Wireguard without installing or enabling anything on Asus router itself. Google for Tailscale and UDP hole punching which overcomes CG-NAT routing issue.

Last edited:
What do you do in this case? No network and no Internet connection? You obviously do have Internet connection.
I do have Internet. I just use them. But I don't trust them. There is nothing 100% safe including VPN. There are so many attackers who are still attacking VPN.
There are a lot of VPN Vulnerabilities which are well known and unknown. They are using those Vulnerabilities and still looking for Vulnerabilities.
That's it.

Last edited:
When you walk on the street you may trip, fall and injure yourself. If you wear proper shoes, avoid bad paths and watch your steps, you’ll be safe. The same applies to Internet use.

When you walk on the street you may trip, fall and injure yourself. If you wear proper shoes, avoid bad paths and watch your steps, you’ll be safe. The same applies to Internet use.
It doesn't make sense at all. That's just basic rules. In the real life? What if a car bumps into your back while you are walking with proper shoes on the good paths and watching your steps carefully? What do you do? Can you say you were at the wrong place and wrong time? We don't know what's gonna be happened to us. We can avoid some with those basic safety rules , however we can't avoid a lot. There are always unexpected things. We just live our life.

There are always unexpected things.

It’s all about the balance between pros and cons. I like diving and I have taken multiple close pictures of moray eels and sharks. I know they are dangerous, but beautiful creatures. We all often take risks because of convenience or because of different experiences.

Pretty sure I tested connection

Found the problem. When my Wi-Fi signal drops below -65dBm I’m getting packet re-transmissions and it causes the App no connection issue. When I come close to the AP it connects and works properly. Now I can break something remotely. :)

Found the problem. When my Wi-Fi signal drops below -65dBm I’m getting packet re-transmissions and it causes the App no connection issue. When I come close to the AP it connects and works properly. Now I can break something remotely. :)
Just tested the OpenVPN/Asus app on my Android. Disconnected the WIFI and working on cell service, which is usually pretty good at home, the Asus app would not connect. Am also getting some OpenVPN log errors I need to investigate. This is new for me. Asus app still works OK via InstantGuard.

50 years ago I spent the summer in the Caribbean. On a Navy destroyer in the engine room (HOT!). Did get to St. Thomas and Jamaica. Mostly around Cuba.

Looks like it just needs stable connection with no or little packet loss. The GUI access is okay with any connection, if you wait long enough. I could not restart the router in the App, for example, but had no issue in GUI using the same weak Wi-Fi connection. In conclusion, Asus App is not very reliable for remote control. It may not work at all in some cases. Good for convenience when connected to own WLAN though. Guest Network, LEDs, new firmware notification, etc.

50 years ago I wasn’t born yet. I travel a lot. Antarctica is the only continent I haven’t been to.

Looks like it just needs stable connection with no or little packet loss. The GUI access is okay with any connection, if you wait long enough. I could not restart the router in the App, for example, but had no issue in GUI using the same weak Wi-Fi connection. In conclusion, Asus App is not very reliable for remote control. It may not work at all in some cases. Good for convenience when connected to own WLAN though. Guest Network, LEDs, new firmware notification, etc.

50 years ago I wasn’t born yet. I travel a lot. Antarctica is the only continent I haven’t been to.
Got it working:

Asus GUI - VPN - VPN Server - OpenVPN - Advanced Settings - Compression/Disable, Allow Client<_>Client/Yes.

I also do: Respond to DNS/Yes, Advertise DNS to clients/Yes, Username/Password Auth. Only/Yes and Server Port/something other than default.

I tried the app to set up my new AX86U last Fri, it couldn't even find the AX86U. Ended up using wifi on my laptop to set it up.

sam

I tried the app to set up my new AX86U last Fri, it couldn't even find the AX86U. Ended up using wifi on my laptop to set it up.

sam
Did you reset the app first? the old data, if there was any, needs to go. On Android clear cache and storage then restart the app. Not sure about iOS.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!