What's new

Q4 Products and Price Drops?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hbost

New Around Here
Given that many of the professional NAS players are starting to edge into the consumer/prosumer markets (QNAP/Synology/Thecus), do you guys see a flood of new consumer NAS products coming in November/December for the holiday season. It seems like the "new new thing" will be the combo NAS/streamer like the NMP 1000.

Anything "must haves" on the horizon that may be worth the wait?

I am thinking it may be better to hold off a buying decision until late Q4 or post holidays, but did not know if any of the tech professionals or mods had an opinion.

Thanks.

(PS. Currently leaning towards a combination of Synology DS209 and a Squeezebox Duet)

Last edited:
I think you're already seeing the Q4 products roll out. NETGEAR Stora, Thecus N2200, etc. Just look at the recent announcements.

Manufacturers are trying different flavors and mash-ups of NAS and NAS-like products.

I don't see any particular reason to wait if you see products that meet your needs.

Thanks for the quick reply.

From what I have seen from this site and others, I agree with you. I think the mashups may take a generation or two to get it right at the consumer level. I still may wait for some holiday price drops, though. Can pay the two months power bill on my old Dell running FreeNAS until December. :D

Do you plan to review the new Thecus N2200 anytime soon? The price/features mix is intriguing.

Great site and thanks.

Do you plan to review the new Thecus N2200 anytime soon? The price/features mix is intriguing.
Not soon. Thecus hasn't given a time frame for shipping a review unit.

Remember that products introduced in January @ CES often don't ship until 6-9 months later.

I Can't wait for the N2200! I have two 1.5 TB drives waiting to be plugged in to this future product...

Please try and push to get this unit in for review.. :)

Thanks,
Fabian.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!