What's new

QNAP 459 Pro II RAM Upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rancid-lemon

New Around Here
Hey all,
I wonder if anyone can help me, I am looking to upgrade a QNAP 459 Pro II to 3GB RAM and have just cringed at the cost of a 2GB stick (QNAP - SP-2GB-DDR3SO) currently sitting at £90!!

After having a quick look about I have found this:
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT25664BC1339

It seems to be the same spec RAM, priced at <£10 :)

Can anyone tell me if this will work and do the same job as the QNAP module?
Why is the QNAP module SOOO expensive, does it do something extra that I am missing?

Cheers,

rancid

You realize that QNap has their own dedicated community forum for questions like this. It's http://forum.qnap.com/index.php. Give it a shot.

Just curious, but why do you want to upgrade the RAM? I have the same Qnap model and haven't found a need to do so.

Odds are 99.5% that the QNAP ram is just simply a bog standard dimm with their label on it. It makes little to no sense at this point in time for it to be some funky custom item, like you used to get with everything being proprietary on old HP printers for example.

However, this does not necessarily mean that they don't happen to have some tighter parameters, which might not matter in a generic laptop with looser tolerances. It a pretty small chance these days, but not insignificant. So I would recommend buying it from some place with a decent return policy.

The last caveat I would mention is that if for some reason the NAS motherboard got fried during the installation, they might refuse to honor the warranty if you were installing non-"official" memory. But again as long as you observe standard anti-static precautions and don't do something stupid, that's a pretty small chance.

Hello!
Kingston KVR1333D3S8S9/2G (2Gb) full compatible with QNAP TS-459 pro II (15-20usd/2Gb).
It is checked up on QNAP TS-459 pro II.

Last edited: