What's new

QNAP Adds 2-bay Atom-based NAS (TS-239)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

buck298

Occasional Visitor
The article doesn't specify whether this new device is running the new ajax gui. Any ideas?

The qnap ajaxgui web page (currently) doesn't list the ts-239 in either the "applied model" category or the "Coming Soon (Q2 2009)" category.

Just looked up the specs of the TS-239 Pro vs the TS-639 Pro on QNap's web site. These devices look to be identically equipped with only a couple small differences. The TS-639 has 2 more USB ports and 4 more HDD bays. That's pretty much it.

According to the article, the TS-239 can be found for $499.
According to google, the TS-639 can be found for just over $1000.

Seeing as how the extra 2 USB ports and the 4 HDD bays probably cost about $20 to implement, they obviously have a nice profit margin on their larger NASes.

Maybe this isn't news to anyone.

According to my contact @ QNAP, the TS-239 Pro is currently shipping with the old GUI.

They expect to deliver the new GUI (version 3.0.X) for the TS-239 Pro (and other x86 based models) "within 1 month".

I think the TS-639 is a bit on the high side pricewise personally.

I do like this TS-239. It should offer good performance and flexibility.
It's tempting to go this route or try the HP MediaSmart product.

Yes TS-639 is high when I first picked it up I was having more then 2nd thoughts about the cost, I must admit it's a great unit and I am loving it.

I would be happy to buy the TS-239 for family member, except for the fact that it only supports recording 2 network video cameras, whereas all of QNAP's other Intel NASes (the 4/5/6/8 bays) support 4 cameras -- see here. It's likely a matter of product pricing/positioning and not a matter of processing power since this 2-bay uses the same 1.6GHz Atom as the 4-bay and 6-bay models.

Heck, I wish QNAP's bigger Intel-based Turbo NASes support more than 4 cameras, but QNAP reserves support for 4+ cameras to its NVR series of products. The NVR series seems (?) to be based on the same Turbo NAS hardware but cost orders of magnitude more (and people think the Turbo NASes are expensive... :)). The highest end NVR models seem to be based on the 5-bay Turbo NAS TS-509 Pro hardware.

On an unrelated note, it's also unfortunate that the top-of-the-line 8-bay TS-809/TS-809U Turbo NASes do not have any eSATA ports, whereas the 2/4/6-bay Atom NASes each have 2 eSATA ports (and even the old 5-bay TS-509 has 1 eSATA port). QNAP says it's because the chipset used only supports 8 SATA drives total.

On an unrelated note, it's also unfortunate that the top-of-the-line 8-bay TS-809/TS-809U Turbo NASes do not have any eSATA ports, whereas the 2/4/6-bay Atom NASes each have 2 eSATA ports (and even the old 5-bay TS-509 has 1 eSATA port). QNAP says it's because the chipset used only supports 8 SATA drives total.

That's correct. The common port counts for eSATA are 4/8/16

Though at the TS-809 level it makes sense to go with another chassis if you need more than the 16TB today IMO.

Ts-239 gui

Hi

This is my first post here but I have been following this site for a while.

I just bought a TS-239 to replace my old Lacie 500 GB single drive NAS. Just wanted to mention how happy I am with it and also that I am running the beta version"3.1.0 build 0529T" (Ajax GUI..) and that it's working like a charm.

Here's how happy I am:

Old Lacie disk:

ftp> put athf_s01e01.avi
367071232 bytes sent in 00:39 (8.94 MB/s)

Qnap TS-239:

ftp> put athf_s01e01.avi
367071232 bytes sent in 00:05 (69.67 MB/s)

That's without any tweaking and just a normal RAID 1 with two WD Green Power 1TB disks.

/ Kristian

Very Happy Customer

Hi There;

I went from a very unimpressive Buffalo Terastation Pro to the QNAP TS-239 Pro and I cannot say enough about this product.

The build quality was also a pleasant surprise as I just expected some plastic fantastic box but got a very solid metal compact unit.

The performance (15Mb/s) at first didn't really blow me away as I couldn't get the numbers that were being shown on this site. However, once I disabled the network throttling that is built into windows, the speed shot right up to 60Mb/s.

Buffalo's products don't even come close to the QNAPs as far as quality and that includes the OS. I mean these guys even give you telnet access unlike the out of touch guys at buffalo (where you had to hack the firmware). Telnet is a must to move files from the Qdownload to the Multimedia directory instantly.

I highly recommend QNAP and the only complaint I have is that the FAN doesn't spin down to a stop when it is not being used and the HDD have spun down, otherwise, perfect product.

... However, once I disabled the network throttling that is built into windows, the speed shot right up to 60Mb/s. ...
What exactly do you mean by this? Would be interesting if you'd drop some info here (if you did something else than enabling Jumboframes?).

Thank you for your reply! Unfortunatly the link is broken (database error). Tried to google your mentioned keywords but am not sure if I found what you thought about. Can you verify your link please?