What's new

QNAP Announces AI For Storage, New NASes…And A Robot?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
ces_logo.jpg
QNAP's CES announcements for CES 2018 cover AI, IoT, robotics and, yes, a few new NASes.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

I know QNAP is trying to expand beyond NAS. But why would they get into switches?

We need more competition with switches, Imagine how affordable a 10GbE switch would become if competition meant that these companies could no longer tack on a gold plated solid diamond yacht tax.

We would likely see 8 port 10GbE switches for less than $50.

it seems that with each passing day, my decision to opt for a Synology box over QNAP becomes an even greater and more obvious mistake.

They just sent out an email announcing availability of the QSW-1208-8C today, and April availability of the "little brother" QSW-804-4C;
  • QSW-1208-8C: 12-port (4 SFP+ fiber ports, 8 SFP+/ RJ45 copper combo ports)
  • QSW-804-4C: 8-port (4 SFP+ fiber ports, 4 SFP+/ RJ45 copper combo ports)
Have not yet found any store in my region where any of these are listed, neither their price, but I guess they're getting close.
Official product page for the 1208-8C was linked in the email: https://www.qnap.com/en/product/qsw-1208-8c

Good morning/afternoon/evening chaps!

I just stumbled across this (checking in on the updates on the QSW-1208-8C after finding out more info) and I pleased to confirm that this switch is REAL, it is being released soon and SPAN will have it in stock in around a week (not a vast number of stock... not a sales tactic, just a few in stock and back orders and pre-orders to fill).

here is my shameless bit of self-promotion...

Unboxing Video

Also here is the more detailed Unboxing NASCompares article covering a few more specifics, as well as dismantling the device a bit! https://nascompares.com/2018/04/12/unboxing-the-qsw-1208-8c-qnap-10gbe-switch-its-finally-here/

Attachments

• inside the QNAP QSW-1208-8C.jpg
    inside the QNAP QSW-1208-8C.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 532