What's new

QNAP TS-128A Single Bay Entry Level NAS Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
qnap_ts128a_product.jpg
QNAP's TS-128A is a high performance, inexpensive, single bay NAS.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

Very nicely priced. I'm almost tempted to get one so I can have a QNAP OS device at hand for testing purposes. Can't see them on Amazon Canada yet tho.

I'd say it's a very nice alternative to a WD MyCloud Live.

I'd say it's a very nice alternative to a WD MyCloud Live.
I used to be a big fan of WD because their Cloud/remote access used a relay server and didn't require router ports to be opened. It also had a simple backup feature that worked to any network share.

So a few months ago I ordered a refurb'd one from the WD store, to replace my faithful, but aged My Book Live. I found the backup feature no longer worked on single-bay MyClouds. Cloud/remote access is still good, though. Sent it back after an annoying return process, which is another story...

I haven't used QNAP or Synology's remote access yet.

I bought one of these a few weeks ago and really like it. I have a USB drive attached that backs it up real time. I only needed a single drive NAS to get a little better performance over using my router as a NAS, which was a little slow and for the download manager. BTW, the file copy to and from the NAS mirror what you got with the DS118.

Thanks for another great review!

I used to be a big fan of WD because their Cloud/remote access used a relay server and didn't require router ports to be opened. It also had a simple backup feature that worked to any network share.

So a few months ago I ordered a refurb'd one from the WD store, to replace my faithful, but aged My Book Live. I found the backup feature no longer worked on single-bay MyClouds. Cloud/remote access is still good, though. Sent it back after an annoying return process, which is another story...

I haven't used QNAP or Synology's remote access yet.

A few of my customers use it on QNAP. Seems to work well enough.

Also have one using RTRR, and another using rsync. Works decently well, though not as bulletproof as I would like. I blame it on the large amount of data in one of these two cases though, combined with poor upstream performance from their ISP.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

this is more expensive than WD mycloud but it comes with more USB ports, and from what looks like faster hardware. I wonder if WD mycloud works with a usb3 hub for loads of drives :D

Lets do a project here where we push the limits of budget/extremely budget NAS setups.

this is more expensive than WD mycloud but it comes with more USB ports, and from what looks like faster hardware. I wonder if WD mycloud works with a usb3 hub for loads of drives :D

The software is also probably light years ahead of WD"s.

Considering its price, I'm tempted to get one just to have a QNAP OS device at hands for testing/support reasons. It wasn't available yet in Canada when I last checked, so I don't know what local pricing will look like.