What's new

QNAP TS-809U-RP & Bit-level VS File level

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mshoaf

New Around Here
Long story short, this may end up being our backup solution. I figure with 8 cuda 7200.11's (1.5TB) we'd have 9.5TB with 1 hot swappable and one spare. We currently have an LTO1 which we've outgrown. Daily incrementals are about 130GB and weekly Fulls take 2 200/400 tapes. I'm sure we could use this even as a DAS solution, but, am more concerned with using 2 and solving our offsite storage solution as well. My question is from experience what ratio difference is there from bit-level incrementals vs file level? If there's not much of a difference I don't think backing up 130GB/night via T1 would be effective. Maybe if we upgraded to a T3, but, there comes a monthly upcharge. It's hard enough getting the talking heads to part with 3K, much less 6K and an extra $500/mo. Anyway, just wondered if anyone has any input from a corporate standpoint, and apologies for not doing my due diligance first, but, I kind of need an answer quickly and will be coming in this weekend to swap tapes 4 times from 10PM tonight (2 for backup/2 verify), which hopefully will be finished before Sunday night...

De-duplication/byte-level

Maybe I should expound. Can anyone tell me the typical savings in incrementals that are byte-level based VS. block level or other conventional backup methods? I read some places it was 50:1, some 20-30% savings. Do any of you have experience with that, or am I in the wrong place?