What's new

QoS Adaptive, confused what to select for WAN packet overhead?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've finally installed Merlin and I'm changing my QOS settings when I chose fq_codel and the WAN Packet overhead box opened up. Every-time I select Cable (DOCSIS) preset and hit apply it jumps back to 'Select preset:' ??? I've tried setting it to cable 2-3 times now and it keeps jumping back. Is it broken?

EDIT: I just tried ticking the checkbox for ATM (18) and it still didn't hold.

I've finally installed Merlin and I'm changing my QOS settings when I chose fq_codel and the WAN Packet overhead box opened up. Every-time I select Cable (DOCSIS) preset and hit apply it jumps back to 'Select preset:' ??? I've tried setting it to cable 2-3 times now and it keeps jumping back. Is it broken?

EDIT: I just tried ticking the checkbox for ATM (18) and it still didn't hold.

All the preset dropdown does is enter pre-configured values in the two fields. It's not a setting in itself, so it will always revert back to "Select a preset", just like presets on the Virtual Servers page.

All the preset dropdown does is enter pre-configured values in the two fields. It's not a setting in itself, so it will always revert back to "Select a preset", just like presets on the Virtual Servers page.

Ok, great! That's good to know :)

Cheers!!

Playing around with this a bit more, what do I pick for Wan overhead packet for 1 gig Fibre connection? ( ISP: Telus ) -- and I should choose between 0 and 18 - what is ATM, should I check that?
No Modem - direct to AC86U

Attachments

• 2019_05_13_03_05_12_Window.jpg
    2019_05_13_03_05_12_Window.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 927
Playing around with this a bit more, what do I pick for Wan overhead packet for 1 gig Fibre connection? ( ISP: Telus ) -- and I should choose between 0 and 18 - what is ATM, should I check that?

Why do you feel you need Adaptive QoS on a symmetric 950/950 connection?

Why do you feel you need Adaptive QoS on a symmetric 950/950 connection?

Actually I don't, I just thought its better, sorry no idea on this so no need of QOS ?

Actually I don't, I just thought its better, sorry no idea on this so no need of QOS ?

No need. :)

If you did use it though, you would leave the ATM at zero for your connection. :)

No need for QoS on such a powerful Internet connection. I wish I could get symmetric 950/950 in my middle-of-nowhere neighborhood. :p

No need. :)

If you did use it though, you would leave the ATM at zero for your connection. :)
No need for QoS on such a powerful Internet connection. I wish I could get symmetric 950/950 in my middle-of-nowhere neighborhood. :p

But bufferfloat is rated from B to C

But bufferfloat is rated from B to C

You're using dslreports.com Speed Test for that grading right? Would you mind posting a screenshot of the actual graphs it shows in "Results"? Usually there is a bar graph with 3 bars, and if you mouse over them it shows very millisecond (ms) results.

Also, try this as a bufferbloat test: https://www.fast.com

The key is to click "Show More Info" after the initial speed test, and paste the "Latency - Loaded" result. (or just everything).

I believe you would select Ethernet for this scenario.

You're using dslreports.com Speed Test for that grading right? Would you mind posting a screenshot of the actual graphs it shows in "Results"? Usually there is a bar graph with 3 bars, and if you mouse over them it shows very millisecond (ms) results.

Also, try this as a bufferbloat test: https://www.fast.com

The key is to click "Show More Info" after the initial speed test, and paste the "Latency - Loaded" result. (or just everything).

Uploaded

Attachments

• dslreorts.jpg
    dslreorts.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 907
  • fast.jpg
    fast.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 784
  • spd.jpg
    spd.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 983
@wizin For your DSLReports results, please click on "Results+Share" and post those results if you can?

But just looking at your FAST.COM results, I don't believe you have any significant bufferbloat ...