What's new

QoS and Gaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

anotherengineer

I have an Asus AC68U and I was hosting some Grim Dawn and friends were complaining of lag. I have 350/10 from ISP and am hardwired and connection was good. I am thinking perhaps it was all the family online here??

I am running latest Merlin and QoS at the time was/is disabled.

Would setting this to Adaptive, or Regular or Bandwidth Limit, help for my friends when they join a game when I am hosting, or just leave it disabled? Is it possible to dedicate a certain amount of bandwidth to my PC? Would this help?

Thanks

The only option for you is Adaptive QoS and eventually FlexQoS script. Traditional QoS and Bandwitdh Limiter are incompatible with NAT acceleration and your WAN-LAN throughput will be limited by the CPU at about 200Mbps (A2 variant has 800MHz CPU).

The only option for you is Adaptive QoS and eventually FlexQoS script. Traditional QoS and Bandwitdh Limiter are incompatible with NAT acceleration and your WAN-LAN throughput will be limited by the CPU at about 200Mbps (A2 variant has 800MHz CPU).
Thanks for the feedback. Will this help improve lag for people joining my game when I host though?

Will this help improve lag for people joining my game when I host though?

Since it's the only option, all you need to do is test. No QoS will fix bad overprovisioned ISP though. I don't know what your ISP line looks like in high-traffic Internet hours. If it doesn't work, you may need to upgrade your router and/or switch to better ISP. FTTH is the best for gaming.

Since it's the only option, all you need to do is test. No QoS will fix bad overprovisioned ISP though. I don't know what your ISP line looks like in high-traffic Internet hours. If it doesn't work, you may need to upgrade your router and/or switch to better ISP. FTTH is the best for gaming.
Isp is good and low density neighbourhood. Fibre on the pole. New coax to the home. Usually ping 17ms 500 miles away with 0.5ms jitter. Probably my kids streaming YouTube in 1080p + sigh….

Unless you stream live your gameplay, games don't need higher speed, but lower latency.

Your current ISP speed is good for few more wives with their own kids watching YouTube. :)

Well that’s good. 2 kids and a wife who watch their laptops and iPads at the same time. Wish I could get more upload than 10. Oh well
pfft, they're lightweights if they're not using their phones too.
you might want to take a look at the router's RAM/swap to help QoS manage bufferbloat

No swap is needed for QoS. Some scripts may affect Internet experience. No information on what scripts @anotherengineer is running, if any.
Hi

No scripts. No streaming

currently mm configuration on router/FW below

I’m just the guy who host online multiplayer games. Grim Dawn. Borderlands. Terraria. Mainly. Just want to make sure everything good and optimized on my end so if people complain about lag I can say it’s their end and not me :)

Thanks for the feedback. Will this help improve lag for people joining my game when I host though?
Well that’s good. 2 kids and a wife who watch their laptops and iPads at the same time. Wish I could get more upload than 10. Oh well
It's more likely that your issues are related to your limited upload speed as that will be having a greater effect when hosting games for remote players.

As noted above your download speed should be ample. So you could try using Traditional QoS and Bandwidth Limiter even though you'll take a hit on the download side. Traditional QoS was finally fixed in the current Merlin release and should work well. But as @Tech9 said, you'll have to try it for yourself.

RAM/swap usage does not directly effect QoS or bufferbloat.

Last edited:
I’m just the guy who host online multiplayer games.

I'm not a gamer, but this changes the requirements indeed. Your limited upload speed affects the gaming performance and your family members Internet experience. Perhaps not a good idea with your current ISP line.

I have an Asus AC68U and I was hosting some Grim Dawn and friends were complaining of lag. I have 350/10 from ISP and am hardwired and connection was good. I am thinking perhaps it was all the family online here??

I am running latest Merlin and QoS at the time was/is disabled.

Would setting this to Adaptive, or Regular or Bandwidth Limit, help for my friends when they join a game when I am hosting, or just leave it disabled? Is it possible to dedicate a certain amount of bandwidth to my PC? Would this help?

Thanks
Enable UPnP. Otherwise your internet speed is too slow.

Adaptive QoS combined with FlexQoS. Set custom iptables rules in FlexQoS to make sure your game servers get put in the game category and that the game category is on top on the Adaptive QoS settings (and put Learn-From-Home at the bottom, it does weird things if it's not.) This will give you hosted games the best chance to not be choked out by other activity on your network, but it won't help if there's just not enough bandwidth altogether or your ISP is oversubscribed.

Adaptive QoS combined with FlexQoS. Set custom iptables rules in FlexQoS to make sure your game servers get put in the game category and that the game category is on top on the Adaptive QoS settings (and put Learn-From-Home at the bottom, it does weird things if it's not.) This will give you hosted games the best chance to not be choked out by other activity on your network, but it won't help if there's just not enough bandwidth altogether or your ISP is oversubscribed.
No issue running flexQoS on an AC68U?? or am I thinking about cake?

No issue running flexQoS on an AC68U?? or am I thinking about cake?
you may be remembering talk of Cake being not well suited to speeds above 250-300Mbps or thereabouts.

It's more likely that your issues are related to your limited upload speed as that will be having a greater effect when hosting games for remote players.
100% this

100% this
Ya. Sad thing is the fastest upload I can get with them is 10Mbps.

now other provider is fibre right to home and it’s 250/30. However the ping is literally doubled.

so 350/10 cable ping 27ms to Chicago
And
250/30 fibre 54ms to Chicago
I wish I could get 150/150 with a good ping.