What's new

QoS does not work properly on RT-N66R [380.70 Merlin]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The wireless scheduler is in the Wireless > Professional settings.

No.

John's firmware doesn't have the same "View List" but you can change client host names under LAN > DHCP Server > Manually Assigned IP...

Yes.

Not that I can think of.

The wireless scheduler is in the Wireless > Professional settings.

No.

John's firmware doesn't have the same "View List" but you can change client host names under LAN > DHCP Server > Manually Assigned IP...

Yes.

Not that I can think of.
Thanks you very much ! i will thinking about it!

Thanks so much for your help and time, Dave!

Isn't there an alternative / simple way to set a maximum download bandwidth limit of 70% and have it respected?

Sending you hugs, regards and many thanks for your advice!
I didn’t realize my Spanish was so good until I read the quoted post. Duolingo is really helping! :)

Instead of using 70%, why not just set the defined bandwidth in QoS to the value that is 70% of your actual ISP bandwidth? Instead of 42 Mb/s just use 30 Mb/s.

I didn’t realize my Spanish was so good until I read the quoted post. Duolingo is really helping! :)

Instead of using 70%, why not just set the defined bandwidth in QoS to the value that is 70% of your actual ISP bandwidth? Instead of 42 Mb/s just use 30 Mb/s.

2.PNG
1.PNG

I tried it but it still gives the maximum or close to the maximum no matter what value I set.

The only other output that might be helpful to understand is:
Code:
tc -s filter show dev eth0 parent ffff:

Bandwich.PNG

Using the normal bandwidth limiter gives me good bufferload and respects the speed only on the device that was limited.

But what about packet prioritization? Do I miss out on that?
I usually play online and when I saw that I had packete prioritization I was happy, I think it's a very good option although I don't know how important it is.

Not having that packet prioritization in bandwidth control mode is important or not? Is it still prioritized just for having that bandwidth assigned?

but I need the QoS to work

What exactly issue you are trying to solve? DSLReports test doesn't mean much. It may show you bad bufferbloat at line saturation speeds, but you may never experience any issues in real life Internet use. For dynamic FPS games - your DSL line may have high latency and no QoS will help.

What exactly issue you are trying to solve? DSLReports test doesn't mean much. It may show you bad bufferbloat at line saturation speeds, but you may never experience any issues in real life Internet use. For dynamic FPS games - your DSL line may have high latency and no QoS will help.
With the official asus firmware I managed to get an A / A+ quality in bufferload but in terms of quality (packet loss according to dslreports) is not good quality but I managed to have A - A - A, as it fluctuated a bit in packet loss I wanted to improve it by having the MTU option so I installed the latest merlin available thinking it was better and that as it has many improvements it was going to be something really superior to the latest asus firmware but the QoS does not work well, the MTU does not work well in the Merlin 380 either. 70 what I noticed is that the processor is more relaxed 5% what happens with the official is that it is at 20% and 30% of ram (I do not generate any problem but it is the only thing I noticed different, besides that in the official QoS walks a little better as if it limits the speed, I also think it does not work at 100% or so I think I remember is that I did too many tests lately and no longer remember which was, I only know that in the official asus generally had a good quality buffer load but with some packets lost, it is not a specific error that I have or want to solve but still since I have a "good router" because it could not have quality A - A - A -A stable? that's what I want to have, that it always works well for when I'm playing, watching netflix, downloading files or whatever, I would like it to work without the router saturating (the buffer) and that it prioritizes the game packets etc. I think it is the least I could ask the router since it has all those options and they were one more reason why I bought it...

I think it is the least I could ask the router since it has all those options and they were one more reason why I bought it

This router is almost 10 years old and with no Asus support. The firmware released in 2020 is security fixes, perhaps the final Asus firmware. It was a good router years ago. You need at least RT-AC66U B1 for more modern QoS options (Adaptive QoS). DSLReports tests mean nothing if you nave no real Internet use issues.

latest merlin available thinking it was better and that as it has many improvements it was going to be something really superior to the latest asus firmware

Latest Asus firmware is much never than latest Merlin firmware for this router.

Last edited:
This router is almost 10 years old and with no Asus support. The firmware released in 2020 is security fixes, perhaps the final Asus firmware. It was a good router years ago. You need at least RT-AC66U B1 for more modern QoS options (Adaptive QoS). DSLReports tests mean nothing if you nave no real Internet use issues.

Latest Asus firmware is much never than latest Merlin firmware for this router.
How about the latest version 374.43 - 49E4 from Jhon's?

Is it better than the latest official asus version, even if it loses the cell phone support?

What else would it lose compared to the latest official asus version?

Thanks for your time

Read here in Additional Information:

Try it and decide if you like what you see. I personally would run Asuswrt stock on this router and use whatever is available there. Its single core MIPS CPU is too slow for enhanced features. I would also make sure NAT acceleration is enabled. The slow CPU increases connection latency without it. That means you may have better Internet experience with QoS disabled. Traditional QoS is incompatible with NAT acceleration. Don't look at DSLReports tests.

Read here in Additional Information:

Try it and decide if you like what you see. I personally would run Asuswrt stock on this router and use whatever is available there. Its single core MIPS CPU is too slow for enhanced features. I would also make sure NAT acceleration is enabled. The slow CPU increases connection latency without it. That means you may have better Internet experience with QoS disabled. Traditional QoS is incompatible with NAT acceleration. Don't look at DSLReports tests.
Okey thanks alot for ur help, i will test a couple days more the merlin 380.70 and later maybe will back to the final oficial asus 382