QoS Effects

  • ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Wade Coxon

Regular Contributor
Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but how did you get bufferbloat test to work on dslreports? They've been broken for me for years, just showing a blank area where the bufferbloat score should appear.
I found I had to disable adblockers before it would work. Not sure if that's the accepted solution though.
 

sbsnb

Senior Member
I found I had to disable adblockers before it would work. Not sure if that's the accepted solution though.
Doesn't work here, unfortunately. Doesn't matter the browser either. Oh well.
 

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
The ping graph is too tiny to see here, but from what I can see it looks pretty good. What would be helpful for assessing would be to know the start and stop times of the iDrive uploads and the speed of those uploads. Are they saturating your upload speed?
Hi sbsnb
The automatic backup starts at 01:00 hours and was using up virtually all of my upload bandwidth when I ran a manual backup during the daytime a few days ago, causing huge lag, even with general web surfing (at least, I assume that was what was causing it because after I cancelled the backup, everything returned to normal). I've uploaded a zoomed-in portion of the relevant portion of the graph from last night and also a summary of the backup that ran at that time. The top of the scale is about 48ms (top graph) and 53ms (bottom graph) and the graph data line running along the bottom is at around 13ms.
 

Attachments

sbsnb

Senior Member
I still can't read the graph. It's far too small on my 24-inch screen, but it's probably not important since the graph doesn't show any sustained spikes.

Does your backup saturate your upload for 40 minutes straight? That's a huge amount of data to have been generated in one day. Does your system have that much new data to back up every day? If not, you might want to see if you can enable incremental or differential backups.
 

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
Sorry, one of the screenshots I uploaded was the wrong one, so I'll upload the correct one to this post in a few minutes. Also, I've added some clearer y-axis values, so you may be able to see those.
Screenshot - 08_09_2020 , 19_02_32.jpg

Screenshot - 08_09_2020 , 19_03_10.jpg
Screenshot - 08_09_2020 , 18_50_17.jpg


01:00 is about here ^ and the chart ends just after 01:48
 
Last edited:

BikeHelmet

Occasional Visitor
Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but how did you get bufferbloat test to work on dslreports? They've been broken for me for years, just showing a blank area where the bufferbloat score should appear.

View attachment 26084
It has always functioned for me? What's it show on the results page? Do you have any script blockers or adblocking? (uBlock, uMatrix, etc.) Have you tried an incognito window or alternate web browser? Do you have an account there, and login?

Just tossing out every random thought to enter my head.

It looks like you may have customised the settings in some way? Mine defaults to 24/12 connections, but yours is up at 30? I found I got odd results when I tinkered with the connection count.

Edit: Apparently the HTTPS speedtest is broken right now. Does HTTP work for you?
 
Last edited:

sbsnb

Senior Member
It has always functioned for me? What's it show on the results page? Do you have any script blockers or adblocking? (uBlock, uMatrix, etc.) Have you tried an incognito window or alternate web browser? Do you have an account there, and login?
The results page looks normal with the space for bufferbloat just blank for years. Doesn't matter what browser (IE, Edge, Chrome, Firefox) and safe mode (no extensions) or not. I haven't changed any settings from default. The test won't even run with HTTPS.
 

BikeHelmet

Occasional Visitor
The results page looks normal with the space for bufferbloat just blank for years. Doesn't matter what browser (IE, Edge, Chrome, Firefox) and safe mode (no extensions) or not. I haven't changed any settings from default. The test won't even run with HTTPS.
Well, beats me. I searched but didn't find an obvious answer. HTTPS is broken because DSLReports let their test server SSL certificates expire, and apparently nobody cares or nobody is around.


All you can do is search for other BufferBloat tests that are supported and actually work for you - if you want that info.
 

sbsnb

Senior Member
Thanks. I just DIY by running something like Bittorrent and watching ping values. When I can pull down/up data at close to my connection limits and the pings aren't changing I call it a day.
 

sbsnb

Senior Member
Thanks. I try to adjust to that there is no perceptible change. I usually let it run for a minute or two without any significant bandwidth usage, note the average response time and jitter, then repeat at full load. If the average and jitter don't change I call it good.
 

Similar threads

Latest threads

Sign Up For SNBForums Daily Digest

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!
Top