What's new

QoS Effects

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but how did you get bufferbloat test to work on dslreports? They've been broken for me for years, just showing a blank area where the bufferbloat score should appear.
I found I had to disable adblockers before it would work. Not sure if that's the accepted solution though.

I found I had to disable adblockers before it would work. Not sure if that's the accepted solution though.
Doesn't work here, unfortunately. Doesn't matter the browser either. Oh well.

The ping graph is too tiny to see here, but from what I can see it looks pretty good. What would be helpful for assessing would be to know the start and stop times of the iDrive uploads and the speed of those uploads. Are they saturating your upload speed?
Hi sbsnb
The automatic backup starts at 01:00 hours and was using up virtually all of my upload bandwidth when I ran a manual backup during the daytime a few days ago, causing huge lag, even with general web surfing (at least, I assume that was what was causing it because after I cancelled the backup, everything returned to normal). I've uploaded a zoomed-in portion of the relevant portion of the graph from last night and also a summary of the backup that ran at that time. The top of the scale is about 48ms (top graph) and 53ms (bottom graph) and the graph data line running along the bottom is at around 13ms.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 08_09_2020 , 16_33_20.jpg
    Screenshot - 08_09_2020 , 16_33_20.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 102
  • Screenshot - 08_09_2020 , 16_38_21.jpg
    Screenshot - 08_09_2020 , 16_38_21.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 87
I still can't read the graph. It's far too small on my 24-inch screen, but it's probably not important since the graph doesn't show any sustained spikes.

Does your backup saturate your upload for 40 minutes straight? That's a huge amount of data to have been generated in one day. Does your system have that much new data to back up every day? If not, you might want to see if you can enable incremental or differential backups.

Sorry, one of the screenshots I uploaded was the wrong one, so I'll upload the correct one to this post in a few minutes. Also, I've added some clearer y-axis values, so you may be able to see those.
Screenshot - 08_09_2020 , 19_02_32.jpg

Screenshot - 08_09_2020 , 19_03_10.jpg
Screenshot - 08_09_2020 , 18_50_17.jpg

01:00 is about here ^ and the chart ends just after 01:48

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but how did you get bufferbloat test to work on dslreports? They've been broken for me for years, just showing a blank area where the bufferbloat score should appear.

View attachment 26084
It has always functioned for me? What's it show on the results page? Do you have any script blockers or adblocking? (uBlock, uMatrix, etc.) Have you tried an incognito window or alternate web browser? Do you have an account there, and login?

Just tossing out every random thought to enter my head.

It looks like you may have customised the settings in some way? Mine defaults to 24/12 connections, but yours is up at 30? I found I got odd results when I tinkered with the connection count.

Edit: Apparently the HTTPS speedtest is broken right now. Does HTTP work for you?

Last edited:
It has always functioned for me? What's it show on the results page? Do you have any script blockers or adblocking? (uBlock, uMatrix, etc.) Have you tried an incognito window or alternate web browser? Do you have an account there, and login?
The results page looks normal with the space for bufferbloat just blank for years. Doesn't matter what browser (IE, Edge, Chrome, Firefox) and safe mode (no extensions) or not. I haven't changed any settings from default. The test won't even run with HTTPS.

The results page looks normal with the space for bufferbloat just blank for years. Doesn't matter what browser (IE, Edge, Chrome, Firefox) and safe mode (no extensions) or not. I haven't changed any settings from default. The test won't even run with HTTPS.
Well, beats me. I searched but didn't find an obvious answer. HTTPS is broken because DSLReports let their test server SSL certificates expire, and apparently nobody cares or nobody is around.

All you can do is search for other BufferBloat tests that are supported and actually work for you - if you want that info.

Thanks. I just DIY by running something like Bittorrent and watching ping values. When I can pull down/up data at close to my connection limits and the pings aren't changing I call it a day.

Thanks. I try to adjust to that there is no perceptible change. I usually let it run for a minute or two without any significant bandwidth usage, note the average response time and jitter, then repeat at full load. If the average and jitter don't change I call it good.