What's new

QoS + IPv6 Passthrough = "AC86U kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy..." spam

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

truglodite

Regular Contributor
When I enable IPv6 passthrough, IPv6 works but I get a bunch of this in my logs:

Code:
Jan  6 17:26:13 RT-AC86U kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth0
Jan  6 17:26:13 RT-AC86U kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev br0
Jan  6 17:26:17 RT-AC86U kernel: protocol 0000 is buggy, dev eth0
Jan  6 17:26:17 RT-AC86U kernel: protocol 0000 is buggy, dev eth0

I have read up on the issue, including:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/protocol-0800-is-buggy-protocol-86dd-is-buggy.55762/#post-512906
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/384-9_alpha-builds-testing-all-variants.54050/page-9#post-457973

It appears the behavior may be related to one or more of the following when passthrough is used:
hardware acceleration (enabled)
additional vlans (yazfi)
jumbo frames (disabled)
bonded ports (? not sure)
incorrect mtu (1500)

Not sure how it all relates to the spammy logs, but it would be nice to have ipv6 finally working. Any suggestions on the best way to fix this?

Kev

[edit: changed the title, since I found below that qos triggers the bug.]

Last edited:
Interesting, I though it did but I guess maybe it doesn't.

I'm running the latest release (384.14_2) of merlin and amtm scripts. All else is running well, except ipv6. Also, I haven't looked up my ONT to see if I can get in and change it to bridge mode. Forgot to mention I'm also running freshjr qos.

[edit: I disabled qos, with passthrough enabled, and the buggy logs went away.]

Last edited:
In my experience, protocol is buggy has 100% been about network visibility add-ons. As soon as I removed the software, the errors went away.

Yeah my understanding is this is a bug in asus firmware as in the other thread someone verified it happens on stock firmware when passthrough is combined with ANY trend micro software (qos, traffic monitor, parental controls, etc). So for now I have disabled qos. This is working fine for me since I'm only on a 50/50 connection; this may be a deal breaker though when I upgrade my service to the 100's (hopefully within a year).

Just another observation I made on this issue... you don't even have to enable any trend micro stuff for this bug to kick in. If I have IPv6 passthrough enabled, merely clicking on the Adaptive QoS tab on the side of the webui (which opens up the traffic monitor page) will get the buggy protocol thing to start.

Just another observation I made on this issue... you don't even have to enable any trend micro stuff for this bug to kick in. If I have IPv6 passthrough enabled, merely clicking on the Adaptive QoS tab on the side of the webui (which opens up the traffic monitor page) will get the buggy protocol thing to start.

Hi same behaviour for me ! IPv6 configured in passthrough mode.
Just naviagte to the Adaptive QoS tab and the buggy log starts...

Did the same once I started using Suricata....which eventually led to Cake-QOS. Not sure how Cake plays with IPv6 as I can't test...Give it a whirl if you like.

Last edited: