What's new

QoS / RT-NxxU firmware builds for QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Issue 844 seems to have been fixed, so this could lead to less overhead (better performance) in future builds.

Still need to figure out if it all works on my RT-N65U, before changing future builds and posting a script that also shapes downloads.

question for xnor

First off, thanks for helping the community out with alternative firmware.....
Everyone uses them for different things...

I never see any post from andy padavan so I noticed that you actually are around and viewing peoples post to better things....

I really like the firmware, it seems to run smoother and snappier then stock and wrt.

I was curious to ask you (when you have time obviously or even feel like it) but I have been using the 56U since it's release and have issues with usb streaming to ps3 and padavans firmware.
The issues has been posted a long time ago but i geuss andy doesn't have a ps3 for testing (you might not either).

Padavan had a version ep2 (ill post link) that streamed fine, stock firmware and wrt stream fine. but with his later firmwares it give a constant DLNA 2104 error.

I'll post the link to the "issues" and if your up for a puzzle, maybe you could change something in the firmware so it works.

https://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/issues/detail?id=275

I know you might not have time or don't feel like dealing with it, but it seems like you like to tinker with the firmware and maybe it would be interesting to narrow it down so it works.....

I've heard someone say it has to do with the ps3 firmware, but there has to be something small that can be changed, otherwise ep2,stock, and wrt would give the same errors...

I know this is long and lengthy, just figured i'd give it a shot and ask....
Let me know if your up for the task, lol.....
I appreciate your time and thanks in advance for reading this (if and when you do, haha)

Thanks again!
Zainday:D

I neither have a N-56U nor a PS3 and it could be many things:
- minidlna configuration problem (media_dir set up properly?)
- minidlna database (files.db) corrupt? try to delete and rebuild
- firewall problems (maybe the PS3 or the router is blocking something it shouldn't?)

Error "2104" is not very meaningful. It would help to know what the (detailed) description of that error is.

After ./simple_shaper.sh on

Do I need to do anything to make it survive a reboot? Or does it run itself automatically?

In the guide I recommend:

To run it automatically add to /etc/storage/post_wan_script.sh right below the "up)" line:
Code:
[ -f /etc/storage/simple_shaper.sh ] && /etc/storage/simple_shaper.sh on >/dev/null 2>&1 &
to save changes (make them survive a reboot):
Code:
/sbin/mtd_storage.sh save

Running 079 on my RT-N65U now.

Builds updated and linux 3.0.x build added for RT-N56U which has supposedly better performance than 3.4.x.

Hello everyone,

I've forked rt-n56u repo to github and added xnor's script right into the firmware. Also I added BFQ I/O scheduler which might improve samba/ftp performance (I know it does on a much faster ARMv5 1.2 GHz NAS from 20MB/s to 30MB/s).

Repo is here: https://github.com/moonman/rt-n56u

So far I've only added a config for kernel 3.4 N56U. With my 25 down 2.5 up connection I really did not notice any difference (without HW-NAT and this qos script) between 3.4 and 3.0. It really makes me wonder who the main developers target this f/w for. Who really cares about throghput higher than 100Mbit/s or even 50Mbit/s?)

Thanks to xnor for making this excellent script, before I found this thread I was thinking of going back to my E3200 with Tomato (with its USB based 5GHz radio which sucks!)

EDIT: Builds are here: https://github.com/moonman/rt-n56u/tree/master/images

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi xnor

Firstly, thank you for making your script available and accessible!

I have flashed the firmware from your site. I'm setting up the script following your guide:

1. For RT-N56U, the UPDEV is eth3 and not eth2.2. From the system log, (ignore time stamp)
Code:
Jan  1 00:00:16 RT-N56U: wan up (eth3)

2. When I run the script I get
Code:
/etc/storage # ./simple_shaper.sh on
Simple Shaper
UP MAX: 4010, MIN: 1336, MTU: 1500
cleaning up ... 
done.
setting up ...
./simple_shaper.sh: line 75: /bin/tc: not found
./simple_shaper.sh: line 76: /bin/tc: not found
./simple_shaper.sh: line 78: /bin/tc: not found
./simple_shaper.sh: line 79: /bin/tc: not found
./simple_shaper.sh: line 80: /bin/tc: not found
./simple_shaper.sh: line 82: /bin/tc: not found
./simple_shaper.sh: line 83: /bin/tc: not found
./simple_shaper.sh: line 84: /bin/tc: not found
./simple_shaper.sh: line 86: /bin/tc: not found
./simple_shaper.sh: line 87: /bin/tc: not found
./simple_shaper.sh: line 88: /bin/tc: not found
iptables: Chain already exists.
done.

I had tried running the script with Padavan's firmware; then I thought I should probably run it with yours thinking tc might be included in yours. But this executable does not seem to be present in either firmware. Let me know what I'm missing.

Thank you moonman! Do you see tc in either bin or sbin? Will flash image from your github and see if that addresses the issue.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

It should be there. I have no way to check because i went back to stock for now. Xnor's script only works on outgoing traffic and that is not enough for me because if i max out my connection with a torrent i can't really stream anything anymore. I was thinking of porting one of openwrt qos scripts but it requires more time which I don't have at the moment. I am still updating my github with commits from official upstream though.

@xnor

I've been trying to get a new qos script meant for openwrt to work. I know next to nothing about iptables so I thought you might be able to help. The script is meant for older kernels/iptables so I've been trying to match the modules needed in the new kernel and I've stumbled upon 2 problems.

1. I can't seem to get MARK to work:
line 356: MARK: not found

2. This one is weirder
Couldn't find match `ipp2p'

ipt_ipp2p module is loaded though.

The script is here: http://files.eschauzier.org/whiterussian/20-qos-htb

My modified version so far: http://pastebin.com/t86L6HSH

The only thing modified is the module names and script activation check (which is true always now). I checked kernel config and CONNMARK and MARK modules should be compiled (m) but can't seem to find them after though in /lib/modules unless they have a weird new non-intuitive name

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok figured it out. Now I have a full QOS script from openwrt fully working. Now I just need to integrate it ad that's it.

If there's interest I could also show how to split download speed evenly among multiple people (actually IPs), or "shape" download speed in general.

Could you provide some guidance for this?

I`ve tried using qos script in the opening post but I would like to use something that can limit certain IP on the network within set bandwith limits for both download and upload.

hey guys, could somebody please exlain how i can install and use the hd-idle addon?

i am using a rt-n65u with padavans firmware including entware. but i have no idea how to install the hd-idle addon.

thank you very much.

notarzt

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!