What's new

QoS Settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wiz561

Occasional Visitor
Hi!

I was wondering if anybody has run into this. I have QoS setup on my router with a user-defined list. I have it turned 'on' , set the max up and down rates, and hit save. I then hit "User Defined QoS Rules" so I can tweak which ports get set and at which priority. After saving everything, it seems like it defaults back to automatic mode.

Is QoS really setup after this? It seems like web traffic is still slow while downloading a large file on a different port other than 80 or 443. Just wondered if I did the right thing and it's suppose to default back to automatic or not.

Thanks

Hi!

I was wondering if anybody has run into this. I have QoS setup on my router with a user-defined list. I have it turned 'on' , set the max up and down rates, and hit save. I then hit "User Defined QoS Rules" so I can tweak which ports get set and at which priority. After saving everything, it seems like it defaults back to automatic mode.

Is QoS really setup after this? It seems like web traffic is still slow while downloading a large file on a different port other than 80 or 443. Just wondered if I did the right thing and it's suppose to default back to automatic or not.

Thanks

The webui is misleading. There's no such thing as "automatic mode", that should be renamed "Current settings" rather. Anything you configure under user settings will get properly applied.

thanks

Thanks for the explanation. Another question related to QoS.

I have the AC66U running on my border. Internal, I have a Linux server running ssh and downloading a lot from usenet. I am using port 81 for usenet downloading, and it's an ssl encrypted connection.

In the AC66U, I have tcp/80 and tcp/443 at the "Highest Priority" for both 0~512 and 512~. I have tcp/81 from 0~ at the "Lowest Priority". I also have set the ul and dl bandwidth to what it is.

When downloading on usenet and browsing the web, the web slows to a crawl. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Do I have to use 'tc' to tag the packets on linux? Does QoS not work with encrypted connections?

Thanks

Thanks for the explanation. Another question related to QoS.

I have the AC66U running on my border. Internal, I have a Linux server running ssh and downloading a lot from usenet. I am using port 81 for usenet downloading, and it's an ssl encrypted connection.

In the AC66U, I have tcp/80 and tcp/443 at the "Highest Priority" for both 0~512 and 512~. I have tcp/81 from 0~ at the "Lowest Priority". I also have set the ul and dl bandwidth to what it is.

When downloading on usenet and browsing the web, the web slows to a crawl. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Do I have to use 'tc' to tag the packets on linux? Does QoS not work with encrypted connections?

Thanks

Encryption shouldn't be a problem, since Asus's QoS works only at the TCP/IP level, regardless of the content.

Try not setting any transfer amount (remove the 0~) and see if it helps.

Just digging into QOS. Am looking at RMerlin's and Toastmans to attempt to figure out QOS... at least figure it out enough to use it.

I'm trying to understand the "Transferred" settings.

ASUS's FAQ not all that helpful.

Would be great to have some sort of "typical" or "average" setting to work from.

What do the ranges actually tell the router?

So if I set Websurf to 1024-2048 what is that actually doing?

Transferred section is how many bytes if transferred before it starts throttling. So, for example, if you set websurf to 1024-2048, then after 2 meg has been transferred, it will start throttling. At least, that's how I interpret it as.

I just set all the ports to a priority and not worry about the transferred part, as the other person noted. So, for example, 80,443,22 all set to 'highest', but the ports the backup software uses is the 'lowest'.

Thanks. Just learning about QOS.

Toastman has a very lengthy and very detailed guide to QoS on the Linksysinfo forums - have a look at it. Much of what he wrote there would also apply to Asuswrt.

I've read it twice now. Still get lost. It would be nice to have some place to start so as to have a line in the sand form which to begin.

I didn't turn on QOS for your firmware and looks like I don't need to. Hammering the entire system in a way that I had stalling symptoms with Toastman's and have no such stalling with yours.

I've read it twice now. Still get lost. It would be nice to have some place to start so as to have a line in the sand form which to begin.

I didn't turn on QOS for your firmware and looks like I don't need to. Hammering the entire system in a way that I had stalling symptoms with Toastman's and have no such stalling with yours.

QoS is all about prioritizing traffic. If you rarely saturate your connection at the same time with multiple connections while you are using a streaming service, then there is no real need for QoS. Typically, having one person do a large file download at the same time as someone using Netflix will rarely cause any issue. Someone using a P2P client that has 50-100 simultaneous connections at the same time as the same Netflix streaming might become a problem. Or having five persons in the house all doing streaming at the same time.

Inbound QoS is not working properly on Asus firmware, right? With the recent Tomato builds, I can have full download/upload on my ftp and still have 28ms latency in games.

Before I flashed Tomato I tried the Asus firmware quickly and noticed that there is no cap on inbound. If there are several downloads at 70% each, my inbound gets saturated and latency goes through the roof.