What's new

[Question] 2nd Router ,AP- or Router Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

birdy

Occasional Visitor
As we know, AiMesh isn’t running on Merlin. To use both advantages, two devices are need.
ISP, Cable Modem -> Main Router (Merlin) -> 2nd Router (Stock, AiMesh)

Question: What is the preferred Mode for the 2nd Router.
Should I choose AP- mode or Router mode (separate subnet). What is your recommendation?

See my signature

Definitely NOT router mode as you’ll double NAT, use AP mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pardon the ignorance, but why? What are the possible scenario where such a setup is beneficial?

also, where should the DHCP server run, at the main router or AiMesh AP router?

DHCP is ran from the Merlin router. The Mesh Router in AP mode is really just a dumb device in this instance and its only real job is to manage the nodes.

As to why, Merlin for the fine enhancements, then AP for mesh setup. The best of both worlds. I had a super hard time leaving behind Merlin. Really needed mesh support due to all my environmental variables.
So what's an enterprising user to do, make a solution. :) I consider @JDB the leader in this setup. He was very beneficial in helping me get my setup running.

Reactions: JDB
What are the possible scenario where such a setup is beneficial?

My ISP required Merlin as it was not supported on stock Asus firmware.
I have a large house where one AP would only cover half of it at best.

See my signature

Definitely NOT router mode as you’ll double NAT, use AP mode.

Before routers had separate router/AP modes.

I remembering joining two routers together by running an Ethernet cable from one router to the 4port LAN side of the other router. Wan port of the 2nd router was left not connected.

The 2nd router had DHCP disabled. Everything worked well, the setup functioned like a switch and even the WiFi broadcast of the second router worked as expected.

I don’t think I was double nated as all devices saw each other. Any ideas why that configuration was working while not explicitly in AP mode?

I remembering joining two routers together by running an Ethernet cable from one router to the 4port LAN side of the other router.

The 2nd router had DHCP disabled. Everything worked well, it functioned likr a switch and even the WiFi broadcast worked as expected.

I don’t think I was double nated as all devices saw each other. Any ideas why that configuration was working while not explicitly in AP mode?

Yea if you ignore the WAN port on the 2nd router that will work fine, just leaves you a redundant WAN port and takes up a LAN port so not as efficient as AP mode, and requires more knowledge to disable things like DHCP as you say.

I think that this negates everything that a router can do though? Thoughts?

For example; all devices on the router are available to the whole network. Also; would OpenVPN server and/or client work in this setup?

Seems like it shouldn't, to me. (?)

I remembering joining two routers together by running an Ethernet cable from one router to the 4port LAN side of the other router. Wan port of the 2nd router was left not connected.

The 2nd router had DHCP disabled. Everything worked well, the setup functioned like a switch and even the WiFi broadcast of the second router worked as expected.