What's new

Question about DNS.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pinkfloyd1173

Hey guys,

I have a question about DNS servers.

Should I add the DNS servers on my AX88U, like google DNS or add it to each of my devices that I want them to use the google DNS??

Thanks in advance guys.

If you want to use it only for select devices, then I recommend using DNSFilter for that.

If you want to use it for all devices, configure it on the WAN page (disable "Automatic DNS", and enter the DNS servers manually).

Using the DHCP setting should only be used for specific cases (for instance to point some devices as a PiHole setup, like I do here for my mobile devices). Any server you configure there means those clients will bypass your router's DNS cache, and will also be unable to resolve hostnames of other local LAN devices.

I see, thank you Mr. Merlin for your reply.

So should I disable the "Enable the DHCP Server" option in Lan DHCP Server?

Sorry did not understand that part, Mr. Merlin

Last edited:
So should I disable the "Enable the DHCP Server" option in Lan DHCP Server?

Sorry did not understand that part, Mr. Merlin

Don't, the DHCP server is what allocates IP addresses to all of your clients.

Ok thank you again Mr. Merlin.

Mr. RMerlin to you and me. :)

I have another question, I am using the dns filter as Mr. Rmerlin suggested, on 2 devices.

But on the drop down tap "Global Filter Mode" what do I choose?

Sorry still learning this stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Global Filtering Mode should be set to 'No Filtering' if you want just those two devices filtered.

If you want everyone except those two devices filtered, select 'Router' and in the Custom DNS fields put in 1.0.0.1 and 1.1.1.1 (or the public DNS settings you prefer).

Thank you L&LD,

I also noticed something weird, I input the google dns servers under the wan as Mr. RMerlin adviced.

But after doing that, I could not access my ax88u? I checked to see if my pc was using the google dns and it was not even after doing what I did. I rebooted both router and pc, but did not change. After I disabled the dns servers under wan, I was able to access my router again?

Thanks in advance.

Ok I figured it out.

Thanks again guys.
Much appreciated.