What's new

Question about SNMP monitoring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lordv

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys,

I have a question in regards to SNMP monitoring for the RT-AC66u with merlin firmware. I have installed net-snmp per the instructions here.

That install went well and Cacti is reporting back information, however when I ssh in to the router and look at the interfaces, the only interfaces that I see are the following:

br0
eth0
eth1
eth2
lo
vlan1

eth0 appears to be the WAN port. 3 of the 4 ethernet ports are populated with devices. So what I would like to know is, where are the additional ethernet ports and where is the wireless information? is br0 the wireless? if not, is there additional configuration I need to do to net-snmp to see the remaining interfaces?

Thanks!:D

That install went well and Cacti is reporting back information, however when I ssh in to the router and look at the interfaces, the only interfaces that I see are the following:

br0
eth0
eth1
eth2
lo
vlan1

eth0 appears to be the WAN port. 3 of the 4 ethernet ports are populated with devices. So what I would like to know is, where are the additional ethernet ports and where is the wireless information? is br0 the wireless? if not, is there additional configuration I need to do to net-snmp to see the remaining interfaces?

Thanks!:D

eth0 = WAN
br0 = Bridge
eth1 = Wifi 2.4G
eth2 = Wifi 5G
vlan1 = LAN switch

The bridge is made up of vlan1, eth1 and eth2. So basicallly br0 is the whole LAN.

You can get additional VLANs if you have Dual WAN enabled, for example.

eth0 = WAN
br0 = Bridge
eth1 = Wifi 2.4G
eth2 = Wifi 5G
vlan1 = LAN switch

The bridge is made up of vlan1, eth1 and eth2. So basicallly br0 is the whole LAN.

Is there any way for me to get detailed information about each LAN port or is this out of the realm of possibility with this router? If it is out of the realm of possibility I may as well uninstall cacti :D.

Is there any way for me to get detailed information about each LAN port or is this out of the realm of possibility with this router? If it is out of the realm of possibility I may as well uninstall cacti :D.

All ports are part of a switch, they ain't separate interfaces.

The closest you could get in terms of details (such as a port state or the last seen MAC) would require you to directly access the switch registers. Some of this can be retrieved using the robocfg tool however.

All ports are part of a switch, they ain't separate interfaces.

The closest you could get in terms of details (such as a port state or the last seen MAC) would require you to directly access the switch registers. Some of this can be retrieved using the robocfg tool however.

Well I don't think it would be worth it. I was hoping to get live SNMP statistics of each port, but it doesn't look like it's in the cards. No worries! Thanks for the info!

eth0 = WAN
br0 = Bridge
eth1 = Wifi 2.4G
eth2 = Wifi 5G
vlan1 = LAN switch

I want to do this on the AC68U and enable SNMP so I can monitor traffic and protocols with SNMP. Will the same procedure work on a AC68U or is this available out of the box with your Merlin firmware?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

I want to do this on the AC68U and enable SNMP so I can monitor traffic and protocols with SNMP. Will the same procedure work on a AC68U or is this available out of the box with your Merlin firmware?

I try to see each internal IP/MAC traffic too. I try using IPtraf or iftop.. and nothing really works for me. ppp0 is the only interface has activities and it is only between my WAN ip to other outside. I could not see internal IPs either. looking for helps.

please let me know too if anyone has idea about it.

thanks!

Hi
I am just considering buying RT-AC66U, however one of my requisites is snmp per physical port of the switch. Can anyone point me in the right direction to learn how to do this with robocfg as RMerlin is suggesting?

Hi
I am just considering buying RT-AC66U, however one of my requisites is snmp per physical port of the switch. Can anyone point me in the right direction to learn how to do this with robocfg as RMerlin is suggesting?
I can't be done. robocfg is a command line program that you can use to query the status of switch, but it doesn't provide continuous real-time information.
Code:
# robocfg showports
Switch: enabled gigabit
Port 0: 1000FD enabled stp: none vlan: 2 jumbo: off mac: 00:01:5c:7a:fa:47
Port 1:   DOWN enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: off mac: 00:00:00:00:00:00
Port 2: 1000FD enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: off mac: a0:b3:cc:df:1f:cb
Port 3:  100FD enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: off mac: b0:b2:dc:de:fb:05
Port 4: 1000FD enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: off mac: 94:de:80:c5:79:52
Port 8: 1000FD enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: off mac: bc:ee:7b:c3:78:a8
Edit: Merlin added SNMP support in late 2014 so maybe that includes the information you want. I don't use that version so we'll have to see if another user can confirm what information it can collect.

Last edited:
You can't get port-based SNMP information. You will have to use a managed switch for that.

could i create different vlans, one per port and report the traffic moving from wan to each vlan via snmp? If not, then a cheap SNMP switch will be faster solution! thanks

could i create different vlans, one per port and report the traffic moving from wan to each vlan via snmp? If not, then a cheap SNMP switch will be faster solution! thanks

No idea on the SNMP capabilities of reporting per vlans. I've never used SNMP myself, the implementation is from Asus's own code.