What's new

Question about wifi6 dual vs tri band

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shoman94

Regular Contributor
So I currently have an AC88U and a Netgear r7000 connected via Ethernet for the backbone. I have some devices that use wifi6 bit I don't necessarily need wifi 6. I want to replace my r7000 because I'm having problems with it. I'm looking at the ax92u kit (maybe sell my 88u) and I see that it is Tri-Band allowing you to use wifi6 for one 5g band, wifi5 for the second wifi band and then 2.4 wifi5.

I guess my question is what's the difference with separating wifi5 and 6 bands vs having a dual band only wifi6 router? Does it run simultaneously wifi5 and 6 on the same band?

AX92U is like all tri-radio routers. One of the 5 GHz radios covers U-NII-1 channels (36-48), the other covers U-NII-3 channels (149-165).

ASUS designed the AX92U this way to maximize throughput for backhaul.

AX92U is like all tri-radio routers. One of the 5 GHz radios covers U-NII-1 channels (36-48), the other covers U-NII-3 channels (149-165).

ASUS designed the AX92U this way to maximize throughput for backhaul.
Yes but I'm asking about a Tri-Band with only one band broadcasting wifi6 with 2 wifi5 bands vs a dual band wifi6 router

A Wi-Fi 6 radio is generally backward compatible with earlier Wi-Fi versions.

Yes I get that but would overall performance be better if you have a Tri-Band with a dedicated wifi 6 band vs a dual band with mixed wifi5&6 devices on the 5ghz band.

Yes I get that but would overall performance be better if you have a Tri-Band with a dedicated wifi 6 band vs a dual band with mixed wifi5&6 devices on the 5ghz band.
Unlikely. Both AX and AC devices support the same link rates in 5 GHz.

I run an AX92 with my old AC88 as an wireless AiMesh node (flaky WAN port). The only drawback is no Merlin.

A WiFi6E radio is not...

Interesting note that WiFi6 in 2.4GHz likely will cause issues...

(big beacon frames and legacy devices there)