What's new

YazFi Question about Yazfi and Ping

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I would like to update the hostnames that are being used.
As previously indicated, it can be done using the information at the link previously posted: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/y...inc-ssid-vpn-client.45924/page-32#post-473403 by using /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf.

Just did a quick test and it works for me to just change the name and not assign an static IP address to my IoT device(s). YazFi instead assigns the IP address. Follow the directions in that above link, BUT use the following line of pc_append code rather than the pc_append code lines that include the IP address. Change "devicename" to what ever name you want to use. And macaddress to match the MAC address for the IoT/YazFi guest device. Note the TWO commas between the mac address and device name values.
Code:
pc_append "dhcp-host=macaddress,,devicename" $CONFIG

Here is an example of how it might look.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh
pc_append "dhcp-host=2B:AA:8E:12:89:C8,,August_Connect_One" $CONFIG
pc_append "dhcp-host=7B:61:66:12:FE:C5,,August_Connect_Two" $CONFIG
When the router boots up it should inject those pc_append lines into the end of the /etc/dnsmasq.conf. Then the name should show up correctly for YazFi GUI and command line interface, and when checking the System Log > Wireless Log page.

Im sorry to ask but could you tell me how to edit dnsmasq I would like to see where these names are being stored.

Im sorry to ask but could you tell me how to edit dnsmasq I would like to see where these names are being stored.
Which names?
The names the Asus Merlin firmware is generating for the main LAN; either through assigning client DHCP addresses or when assigning static IP's and names using the Asus Merlin interface?
Or the names YazFi is assigning to those guest clients when it assigns a YazFi IP address to them?

@Jack Yaz can probably answer exactly where in the Asus Merlin code the names are stored by the Merlin firmware, and how his script generates the information (name/ip address) for YazFi. If I remember right I think we had a past discussion on this topic of where Asus-Merlin stores main LAN client IP address info when I was trying to figure out how to assign static IP addresses to YazFi guest clients. I could be wrong (probably am) but I think it was indicated the main LAN information was stored temporarily and or gets recreated each time the router boots (and or a client joins the main LAN), and the static IP address info for main LAN clients was being stored to the NVRAM or something like that.

Last edited:
when I run nano /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf I am only seeing some of my devices that are connected.

when I run nano /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf I am only seeing some of my devices that are connected.
Which devices? Main LAN clients or just YazFi clients or a mix of both?

Mix of both is there a limit to how many will display and does it matter if I name something Chromecast_Living_room or is that too long of a name?

Its so strange when I reboot and watch my devices load in the Yazfi GUI page the names flip from old names to new names then eventually some back to old names.