What's new

Question regarding OpenVPN client performance on ASUS AC routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LoneWolf

Hi all,

I've been playing around connecting to my VPN service with OpenVPN. Doing it with a Windows client on my server has excellent speeds. Doing it on my ASUS RT-AC66R brings speeds to a crawl.

I don't have that many clients, and the CPU usage on the router doesn't break 66%. I realize that more clients are connecting through the router, but still --is it the encryption? Is the RT-AC66 the bottleneck, and if so, would a router upgrade improve this?

Hi all,

I've been playing around connecting to my VPN service with OpenVPN. Doing it with a Windows client on my server has excellent speeds. Doing it on my ASUS RT-AC66R brings speeds to a crawl.

I don't have that many clients, and the CPU usage on the router doesn't break 66%. I realize that more clients are connecting through the router, but still --is it the encryption? Is the RT-AC66 the bottleneck, and if so, would a router upgrade improve this?

OpenVPN is very CPU intensive, especially because of the crypto.

A dual-core ARM-based router such as the AC56/AC68/AC87 will greatly improve performance (by more than a factor of 2).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!