What's new

Questions about the RT-AX86u Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BlackIce

Occasional Visitor
Considering the RT-AX86u Pro (Because of it's form factor)...
I have a couple of questions...

I know originally WIREGUARD on the new AX (388 Firmware) routers had
it's hardware acceleration disabled which limited throughput on Wireguard to around 350Mbps...But
I believe I read that that is no longer the case and the hardware acceleration on WIREGUARD is now
enabled so throughput speed on Wireguard is much higher? Can someone please confirm that.
I would be using the Wireguard Client.

Also in Merlin Firmware for the RT-AX86u Pro is SMB 1.0 and 2.0 still an option in the settings (Like it was for the RT-AC86u)?

TIA

Considering the RT-AX86u Pro (Because of it's form factor)...
I have a couple of questions...

it's hardware acceleration disabled which limited throughput on Wireguard to around 350Mbps...But
I believe I read that that is no longer the case and the hardware acceleration on WIREGUARD is now
enabled so throughput speed on Wireguard is much higher? Can someone please confirm that.

Also in Merlin Firmware for the RT-AX86u Pro is SMB 1.0 and 2.0 still an option in the settings (Like it was for the RT-AC86u)?

TIA
And one more question...is the set router as a MASTER BROWSER also still available in the RT-AX86u Pro settings?

Cannot answer the question about Wireguard speed as I haven't tested the actual speed when testing the Wireguard feature a while back. No issues setting up and using Wireguard on Merlin in a quick test. Yes, the option for SMB v1 and SMB v2 is still available as is the option for Master Browser. See screen capture below from a RT-AX86U Pro running 3004.388.4.
USBApplication.jpg

Thanks bennor...That is good news about the SMB and Master Browser...
Hopefully someone can answer about the Wireguard Client Speed question...

Wireguard is still incompatible with nat hw accelleration. The only difference is on these models Asus/Broadcom have implemented a source ip based bypass. So if you only setup vpndirector so a couple of computers use vpn, these computers will bypass nat hw accelleration but all other computers/stuff you have will still benefit.
Altough this is a higher performing router so wg vpn will be slightly higher then before but maybe 500-600Mbit/s not more since sw nat will bottleneck these connections.

But the big upside is that all other lan clients not using vpn could still get >Gb/s speeds.

BTW, there might be a WireGuard bug on the RT-AX86U Pro:

If you do decide to run both a WireGuard server and multiple clients please provide feedback if you don't mind.

Thanks,
Harry

Wireguard is still incompatible with nat hw accelleration. The only difference is on these models Asus/Broadcom have implemented a source ip based bypass. So if you only setup vpndirector so a couple of computers use vpn, these computers will bypass nat hw accelleration but all other computers/stuff you have will still benefit.
Altough this is a higher performing router so wg vpn will be slightly higher then before but maybe 500-600Mbit/s not more since sw nat will bottleneck these connections.

But the big upside is that all other lan clients not using vpn could still get >Gb/s speeds.

Zeb,

Thanks much for that explanation...Currently using a different Brand Router for Wireguard...Wanted to check to see if the Wireguard issue had been fully resolved by ASUS. My setup is that ALL Clients go through the Wireguard except for one that is exempted (VOIP Adapter for home phone service)...It sounds as if I need to continue to check back from time to time on this...I guess that it is really a Broadcom issue so maybe that will be resolved in next generation chipset.

BTW, there might be a WireGuard bug on the RT-AX86U Pro:

If you do decide to run both a WireGuard server and multiple clients please provide feedback if you don't mind.

Thanks,
Harry

Thanks for the info...I don't run a server but just a Wireguard Client but all client devices go through Wireguard except for my VOIP Adapter. Will continue to monitor this forum for updates. Thanks.