What's new

Questions about Voxel in AP mode (RBK50/RBR50)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LauFu

New Around Here
First off, I really appreciate all the hard work Voxel is doing put into bringing another option beyond the limited stock firmware. And thanks to group for donating their time to support Voxel users.

I'm curious about trying Voxel on my RBK50, but I use it in AP mode with a dedicated firewall and most of the features seem to be related to router improvements. My primary interest would be networking and security improvements without having to upgrade to an SXK80 (for VLAN support, etc.) or deploying a separate AP for the guest to completely isolate it.

Is there any way in the Voxel firmware to terminate the second SSID onto a separate physical interface (since the posts indicate VLANing isn't implemented or in the near-term plans)?

What are the major benefits of upgrading for AP-mode users to upgrade to Voxel?

Thanks!

Is there any way in the Voxel firmware to terminate the second SSID onto a separate physical interface (since the posts indicate VLANing isn't implemented or in the near-term plans)?

I do not quite understand what you need. It is possible to use different SSID for RBK50 but it is not recommended.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-0-43sf-hw.60634/

What are the major benefits of upgrading for AP-mode users to upgrade to Voxel?
Well. First: speed, reliability, safety (security fixes including CVE).

Second: ssh, possibility to use Entware, samba server, possibility to mount cifs share, something else...

Voxel.

Thanks Voxel!

I've seen the note about not recommending different SSIDs and I've seen people on other forums mentioning that you don't recommend it but not knowing why. Are there specific reasons? (non-manageable from the UI? Potentially endangering upgrades? Stability issues, other?)

My goal is to minimize the threat profile of the Orbi (is that the plural?). Additional ports aren't really selling points in my case. Speed, on the other hand. ;-)

've seen the note about not recommending different SSIDs and I've seen people on other forums mentioning that you don't recommend it but not knowing why. Are there specific reasons? (non-manageable from the UI? Potentially endangering upgrades? Stability issues, other?)
Stability of wireless backhaul (RBR<->RBS). If you are using wired connection RBR<->RBS: no problems.

Voxel.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!