What's new

Questions regarding Throughput vs Path Loss Tests for wireless APs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dcamps

New Around Here
Dear all,

I would like to know a bit more information about the wireless tests that you have performed in order to obtain the Throughput vs Path Loss graphs for the different 802.11n APs.

These are my questions:

1- I see you have used a channel emulator from Azimuth. Which TGn channel model were you using in your experiments ?

2- Could you give a bit some more details on the capabilities of the 802.11n STA acting as client in these experiments ? e.g. number of antennas ? any information on aggregation capabilities ?

3- Finally I am a bit surprised that the throughput saturates to these low values. Do you have any idea why ?
- Were you using the APs in 11n greenfield mode?
- Do you know if the APs were using aggregation capabilities?
- Did you observe the modulation and coding schemes that were being used by the APs? For instance at low path losses (50-60 dBs) if the AP and the client have 2 antennas, the APs should be using 2 spatial streams achieving PHY layer throughputs above 100Mbps in a 20Mhz channel.

Thanks!

Daniel

1- I see you have used a channel emulator from Azimuth. Which TGn channel model were you using in your experiments ?
Butler

2- Could you give a bit some more details on the capabilities of the 802.11n STA acting as client in these experiments ? e.g. number of antennas ? any information on aggregation capabilities ?
The clients used are the "matching" adapters from the same product family as the router. Details are provided in the product review.

3- Finally I am a bit surprised that the throughput saturates to these low values. Do you have any idea why ?
- Were you using the APs in 11n greenfield mode?
- Do you know if the APs were using aggregation capabilities?
- Did you observe the modulation and coding schemes that were being used by the APs? For instance at low path losses (50-60 dBs) if the AP and the client have 2 antennas, the APs should be using 2 spatial streams achieving PHY layer throughputs above 100Mbps in a 20Mhz channel.
No idea whether APs were using greenfield mode, since that is not exposed in router Admin settings.

Most products, regardless of number of antennas use 2 spatial streams. Some products have 1T2R STAs.

Except for bidirectional tests, I run only one pair at a time. Some products may require multiple connections to achieve maximum throughput. Also I use TCP/IP, not UDP for testing.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!