What's new

Questions Repeatedly Asked? (Comedy Thread)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

And I wish OEM/Vendors had a bit more clues on 2.4GHz features...

I know 5GHz/6GHz is where all the action is - but 2.4GHz is still the back-stop for most home LAN's, so let's make it a bit more performant and useful.

stop support for WEP/WPA-TKIP and 802.11b Legacy - OFDM and WPA2 makes 2.4GHz useful again for 11g/n/ax - WPA2 is needed for frame aggregation (performance) and we don't need ERP hits for legacy DSSS (11b) for protection/barker-preambles...

WiFi6 in 2.4GHz says thank you, just by being really smart on the ISM band defaults...

Channel selection - just do low/mid/high (1/6/11) for control channels there, and make 20MHz the default.

Last edited:
and the 30-30-30 leftover

Some users even created guides how to do it in the most satisfactory way. It's more like 300-300-300 procedure. Resetting a router in 90 seconds is not professional enough. You need to plan the event, invite friends, serve appetizers, offer drinks... the last one standing unplugs the router. ;)

Stop spreading FUD (again).

Nobody created anything. The guides I put together are from past users' responses to other users (some, from even before I joined the forums here).

You're too smart to use the guides. Fine. Just like you're too smart to use Asus routers too.

Let the aggregate guides I've summed up from multiple posts on the forums help those that need them.

Your recommendations are 'per spec' and work great for people living in a lab environment. My suggestions are what works here in the real world, they work because they've been proven so.

And no, the guides are not meant for every situation. But when a new user has really messed up their network, following the guides can either bring their router back to a good/known state, or determine with almost certainty (if followed correctly) that the router may have a hardware fault too.

Professional is doing it right the first time. Not doing it in 90 seconds.

My contribution to this thread: Must I redo all the settings again from scratch after a full reset? But I have so many customizations.

You're too smart to use the guides. Fine. Just like you're too smart to use Asus routers too.

Have you ever been the answer to the question that nobody has asked?

;)

I think that one goes to the rest of us as well...

Yes, I have guessed 'intuitively' the base cause many times, even when others more knowledgeable than me had already tried to help the OP.

Yes, I have guessed 'intuitively' the base cause many times, even when others more knowledgeable than me had already tried to help the OP.

We should all be humble perhaps - this space is complicated enough...

Many times we have to make assumptions, based on what's presented, and what we know, and how we can apply the narrow scope of our knowledge to solve, or attempt to solve, the problem at hand...

We should all be humble perhaps - this space is complicated enough...

Many times we have to make assumptions, based on what's presented, and what we know, and how we can apply the narrow scope of our knowledge to solve, or attempt to solve, the problem at hand...

I agree. But you asked a direct question, which I answered.

The other one is that guy that absolutely swears that his router and computers have been hacked over and over again - not making fun of it, as it's kind of sad in some ways - folks with disorders looking for attention.

We've seen this recently, again... and while folks are hard on that user, it's someone that is struggling in their own way, and this is what bubbles up.

it's someone that is struggling in their own way

This is exactly what it is and people in this condition need help. It affects the quality of life. I hope his mom (Mom's folder) notices the signs and takes the appropriate steps to help the guy. This is really sad and cases increased during COVID times. :(

Here's some comedy... hey Rogers, why is my upload speed so puny when compared to my download speed? C'mon man, fix this chiz. Where's my symmetrical fibre at? Sigh... dare to dream.

1671375200688.png

@shabbs, that's not a comedy. That's more like a tragedy! Cable ISPs (shudder).

Symmetrical (Fibre) ISPs (beginning at ~60Mbps and higher) are worth their weight in gold. For the difference that can be felt on the network.

Tragic comedy for sure. There's no fibre offering in my area. We are at Rogers' mercy.

I can't wait for the new 900/900 service in my town coming soon.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!