What's new

Questions Repeatedly Asked? (Comedy Thread)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tragic comedy for sure. There's no fibre offering in my area. We are at Rogers' mercy.
We're at Shaw's (same same, just more western ;) ). Though Telus has been putting a lot of money into Fibre, but it's not 'ready' yet here. Even though they pulled all the lines and set up all the junction boxes this summer...

Yay to our Canadian Duopoly overlords :)

We're at Shaw's (same same, just more western ;) ). Though Telus has been putting a lot of money into Fibre, but it's not 'ready' yet here. Even though they pulled all the lines and set up all the junction boxes this summer...

Yay to our Canadian Duopoly overlords :)
I feel the pain brother. The "best" Bell offering here is their 100/10. Heh. Sigh...

Bell made FTTH available here back in September, which was highly unexpected.

My 1 Gbps FTTH is scheduled to be installed tomorrow. Will be both faster AND cheaper than my previous cable service. Keeping fingers crossed that the weekend snowstorm won't scare the tech away :(

Bell made FTTH available here back in September, which was highly unexpected.

My 1 Gbps FTTH is scheduled to be installed tomorrow. Will be both faster AND cheaper than my previous cable service. Keeping fingers crossed that the weekend snowstorm won't scare the tech away :(
Finally the bottleneck has been fixed.
So we can expect faster fw releases ;)

What!? It's a comedy thread.

I feel the pain brother. The "best" Bell offering here is their 100/10. Heh. Sigh...

It's especially painful up in Canada with limited options - Bell/Telus/Rogers/Shaw pretty much own the market for both Cable and Wireless...

Down here in the US - T-Mo and VZ with 5G Fixed Wireless Access have been starting to make ripples in the Broadband market dominated by Big Cable...

In my neighborhood..

5G-FWA from T-Mobile - $50 with no caps, typically 300/30, sometimes better
Cable from Cox - $104 with 1.25TB cap, 300/30 solid
DSL from ATT - $55 for 100/10*

ATT - in my area, no FTTN/FTTP, so old school DSL

Nice to see T-Mo out here, as this does help with discussions with Cox on service options...

It's especially painful up in Canada with limited options - Bell/Telus/Rogers/Shaw pretty much own the market for both Cable and Wireless...
At least we do have TPIAs which are able to offer some of he same services but at different price points. Things are changing however because of two things that happened over the past year or two:

1) The CRTC bowing down to the incumbents and reverting their own previous decision of lowering pricing incumbents may charge TPIAs
2) Incumbents starting to buy out some TPIAs (like Bell having bought Ebox last spring), and using these as flanker brands to offer different packages at much lower prices

The good news in these changes is that it allows lower price on services not available to TPIAs (like FTTH).

The bad news is that due to these two recent changes, I feel like TPIAs are going to slowly get killed off or bought out by the large incumbents.

The Canadian ISP market is a really... weird one.

Yes and No - at the end of the day, the incumbents run the market - MVNO's are a better indication of the wholesale pricing for bandwidth perhaps...

That's where I do appreciate where T-Mobile is, along with MVNO's on T-Mo...

$50USD/month for broadband on FWA and no caps
$20USD/month for Wireless on MintMobile (T-Mo MVNO) - unlimited talk/text and 10GB/month mobile data

T-Mo understands perhaps, bandwidth is not a precious thing to be kept - rather it's like an ice machine that always makes ice, so if it's not used, it melts and has no value...

As you mention though - Canada is a strange market, and one of the most expensive, even more than the US.

Happy Holidays
I thought Canadians got everything figured out, when your internet/communications went down last time? My understanding is Canada has marijuana by mail and free multi-gig internet.
Cousin Eddie is my Canada info source. Thank You Canada for letting him into your Beautiful Country.

We have IPv4 addresses for everyone. :)

Happy Holidays
I thought Canadians got everything figured out, when your internet/communications went down last time? My understanding is Canada has marijuana by mail and free multi-gig internet.
Cousin Eddie is my Canada info source. Thank You Canada for letting him into your Beautiful Country.
I suspect the fantasy differs from the reality. I used to fancy living in CA, I got a thing about log cabins and trees.

At least we do have TPIAs which are able to offer some of he same services but at different price points. Things are changing however because of two things that happened over the past year or two:

1) The CRTC bowing down to the incumbents and reverting their own previous decision of lowering pricing incumbents may charge TPIAs
2) Incumbents starting to buy out some TPIAs (like Bell having bought Ebox last spring), and using these as flanker brands to offer different packages at much lower prices

The good news in these changes is that it allows lower price on services not available to TPIAs (like FTTH).

The bad news is that due to these two recent changes, I feel like TPIAs are going to slowly get killed off or bought out by the large incumbents.

We have cable through a reseller and saw first a price drop and then increase again when the CRTC gave in to the oligarchy.

The lack of competition because the incumbents argue about their investment and our low population density will likely continue...

We have cable through a reseller and saw first a price drop and then increase again when the CRTC gave in to the oligarchy.
Yep, TPIAs like Teksavvy got royally screwed when they pre-emptively dropped their prices following the initial CRTC decision, only to find it getting turned over. No more price drop, and no retroactive refund from incumbents. TSI were selling at a loss during that period because they were expecting the promised retroactive refund.

"Is WireGuard coming to _____?"
Asked twice in Asuswrt-Merlin Today :rolleyes:

"Why is speed test slower on my router, than on my computer?"
"RMerlin wireless drivers borked my router"

Happy and SAFE Holidays-

What is the best AX router right now?

While not a joke - the most common thing is Asus users posting everywhere but in the Asus subforms, where they would find focused support from other Asus users...
If you tried to post and login to an ROG forum you might think differently...:p

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online