What's new

quick question regarding AC86U and VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

blarf

New Around Here
Hi Guys,

Maybe you guys have could help me out:

I'm running into an issue when trying to set up my OpenVPN server.

Background: I have a AC86U with the latest Merlin Firmware. I have OpenVPN Client running (with VPN Express).
I also created a OpenVPN Server so I could access my NVR (IP Cam) when I'm not home.

So I'm trying to run both instances at the same time on the router.

Here is the issue I'm running into:
VPN Client (on the router) has to be OFF on the router in order for me to access my NVR from outside.
If I want to leave the router VPN ON, I have to input the NVR IP address in the rules, and make the NVR go through the WAN and not through VPN.

Is it OK to do that, security-wise?
Should I look more into scripts that a plethora of members are using?

Thanks,

Blarf

I've run into the exact same problem, so I'm interested in the answers you receive.

Also, just a quick question, I have the same router with the same vpn service (expressvpn). How did you get Expressvpn working? For some reason I cannot get it to work. Anyhow, no rush to answer as this is your thread. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've run into the exact same problem, so I'm interested in the answers you receive.

Also, just a quick question, I have the same router with the same vpn service (expressvpn). How did you get Expressvpn working? For some reason I cannot get it to work. Anyhow, no rush to answer as this is your thread. Cheers.

I went to their website, Downloaded the .ovpn file for the server I wanted. Uploaded the file into the VPN Client tab. Entered my username and password in the appropriate fields and that it. then just turned it on.

I went to their website, Downloaded the .ovpn file for the server I wanted. Uploaded the file into the VPN Client tab. Entered my username and password in the appropriate fields and that it. then just turned it on.

Yeah, I've done the same thing but for some reason I'm seeing 12 DNS servers rather than one. Okay, thank you. :)

Apologies for butting in but I have the same router and ExpressVPN also. If I understand this, I would login to my account at ExpressVPN and download the opvn file for the server I want which for me the closest one is Dallas Tx. Then upload the file, enter user name and password and that's it?

try if not allready setting Accept DNS Configuration to Exclusive

I did.

However, what the problem was was this.

I had to enter the below in Custom Configuration at the bottom of the VPN Profile.

Code:
fast-io
remote-random
pull
tls-client
verify-x509-name Server name-prefix
ns-cert-type server
route-method exe
route-delay 2
tun-mtu 1500
fragment 1300
mssfix 1450
keysize 256
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288
comp-lzo no
push "comp-lzo no"

With some .ovpn config files to the right of the "Service State" button I got IP Unknown (or Address Unknown) and so It was important to add this at the bottom of the Custom Configuration:

Code:
comp-lzo no
push "comp-lzo no"

And also set Compression to Disabled

This fixed all of my issues with ExpressVPN

Last edited:
Apologies for butting in but I have the same router and ExpressVPN also. If I understand this, I would login to my account at ExpressVPN and download the opvn file for the server I want which for me the closest one is Dallas Tx. Then upload the file, enter user name and password and that's it?

Well, personally I would set Accept DNS Configuration to Exclusive ... Also personally I would set Redirect Internet Traffic to All (or you could set Policy Routing Strict and route different devices through the WAN or the VPN).

Also, if you have any issues just refer to my comment above.

Hi Guys,

Maybe you guys have could help me out:

I'm running into an issue when trying to set up my OpenVPN server.

Background: I have a AC86U with the latest Merlin Firmware. I have OpenVPN Client running (with VPN Express).
I also created a OpenVPN Server so I could access my NVR (IP Cam) when I'm not home.

So I'm trying to run both instances at the same time on the router.

Here is the issue I'm running into:
VPN Client (on the router) has to be OFF on the router in order for me to access my NVR from outside.
If I want to leave the router VPN ON, I have to input the NVR IP address in the rules, and make the NVR go through the WAN and not through VPN.

Is it OK to do that, security-wise?
Should I look more into scripts that a plethora of members are using?

Thanks,

Blarf

I think as long as the NVR is behind a Router's firewall and you're accessing it through the OpenVPN server, it will be fine.

Well, personally I would set Accept DNS Configuration to Exclusive ... Also personally I would set Redirect Internet Traffic to All (or you could set Policy Routing Strict and route different devices through the WAN or the VPN).

Also, if you have any issues just refer to my comment above.
Thanks for your reply. I will give this a try probably tomorrow, gettin late here and I tend to do stupid things when I'm tired. By the way, trade seasons with you. I hate winter.

Thanks for your reply. I will give this a try probably tomorrow, gettin late here and I tend to do stupid things when I'm tired. By the way, trade seasons with you. I hate winter.

Really? Humid 35 to 45 degrees celsius for days on end? It's not all beaches and sunbathing here, the heat drives me insane. Not great for computers either. The best seasons are Autumn and Spring. Nice 20 to 25 degrees celsius days are perfect.