What's new

R7800 Configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mathmos

Occasional Visitor
My D6300 was driving me nuts as it was forever dropping/crashing the connection to the fibre modem. Had seen the R7800 but was concerned about the apparent problem with Apple devices that some people were having. But Thursday after yet another drop in connection I noticed Amazon were doing the R7800 for £169 but there was only 4hrs left at this price so took the plunge.

Arrived yesterday and I have applied the latest firmware that come out Thursday I think it was. I have done my basic configuration and everything seems to be up and running ok so far. No issues with any of the MacBooks or iPhones as of yet which is a relief though appreciate it is early days. However I was wondering about any other options/configuration changes I should be making to get the best out of the R7800.

There are quite a few options available e.g. QOS , Video Network I was wondering if people had any recommendations for what I should be enabling/disabling please? I understand some of the options but not enough for all the options presented to me. Main usage is gaming, video streaming, web browsing, connect to work etc.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Dynamic QoS can help improve latency. So if you're a gamer, it can be a useful feature...

Dynamic QoS doesn't affect the WAN bandwidth. It can automatically recognise many devices (media players, gaming consoles, smart TVs) and applications (streaming, gaming) and dynamically allocates WAN bandwidth used by those streams. This ensures that, for given WAN bandwidth, gaming gets lowest latency, streaming least buffering, while latency insensitive applications such as BitTorrent get least bandwidth..

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R7800.aspx#tab-idealuses

Many thanks, so its worth enabling Dynamic QoS? I've come across some post saying QoS should be disabled!

Also how does enabling the 'Video Network' feature compare with Dynamic QoS? What's the difference?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to get my head around these features :)

I do not have any issues video streaming on the 5GHz through the R7800 so I haven’t had the need to enable this option. This feature should be able to help if anyone may experience lower internet speed and wishes to stream HD videos.

Interested in running 2 R7800 , 2nd as an extender. Both will be hard wired, anyone doing this?

I would advise you to start your own thread about your question in this forum, you'll get more responses that way.

Haven't run a 2nd R7800 as AP or Extender...have configured 2nd in Bridge mode for throughput testing..ie., iPerf/Chariot server and client are hard wired.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!