What's new

R7800 factory reset through telnet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ducdeptrai1234

Occasional Visitor
My router is bricked now after I updated my kamoj from 5.1b1 to 5.1b2. Is there any command which I can factory reset my router from telnet?

If it's bricked it's unlikely you will have Telnet access. Did you try the reset button on the back holding it pressed for 15 seconds ?

Got this from the Netgear forums. Reset by Telnet

type nvram erase through and hit enter.
Type nvram clear and hit enter.
Type reboot and it will reboot like a boss and be in factory reset condition.

Sorry for all problems!

Login with telnet and issue the following commands one by one:
Code:
mtd erase netgear
nvram default
nvram commit
reboot
Then you can restore your settings again.
Hope it is working for you.

Last edited:
Hi all - I got pointed here from a post in the Netgear forums where my R9000 2.4 / 5GHz radio has mysteriously stopped working (all other router functionality is fine). Another user told me about the mtd erase netgear command via Telnet that they used to fix the same problem on a similar Netgear unit. I’ve also seen this recommended as a fix in various other posts for similar issues.

However I’ve tried the commands above and simply get an mtd not found message when trying to run mtd erase netgear (via Telnet). I’ve also been through the processes of rolling back the firmware (I’ve always used Netgear proprietary) to its initial release, factory resets, etc but no joy.

I’m fairly competent all round but am new to delving into the depths of network equipment in this way so was just checking if there’s anything else I should be doing or checking. The LEDs on the front of the unit are behaving strangely as well - it may well just be a hardware problem, i.e. the unit is damaged. The only other major thing I haven’t tried is installing third party firmware but I don’t currently see how this would help.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r7800-will-no-longer-save-settings-after-reboot.62773/#post-561797
Hi all - I got pointed here from a post in the Netgear forums where my R9000 2.4 / 5GHz radio has mysteriously stopped working (all other router functionality is fine). Another user told me about the mtd erase netgear command via Telnet that they used to fix the same problem on a similar Netgear unit. I’ve also seen this recommended as a fix in various other posts for similar issues.

However I’ve tried the commands above and simply get an mtd not found message when trying to run mtd erase netgear (via Telnet). I’ve also been through the processes of rolling back the firmware (I’ve always used Netgear proprietary) to its initial release, factory resets, etc but no joy.

I’m fairly competent all round but am new to delving into the depths of network equipment in this way so was just checking if there’s anything else I should be doing or checking. The LEDs on the front of the unit are behaving strangely as well - it may well just be a hardware problem, i.e. the unit is damaged. The only other major thing I haven’t tried is installing third party firmware but I don’t currently see how this would help.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!