What's new

[R7800] Will no longer save settings after reboot.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello all,

Well... I came home last night and all my WiFi devices were down. I thought that my Internet box had lost its connection, but it wasn't that.
I checked my R7800 and there was the orange led blinking, the one with the little "world"second one from the left.
I tried to log on the routeur with my wifi laptop, no luck, there was no wifi.
So I tried to log on using my desktop and a wired connection. No luck. Couldn't ping the router.
Then I tried to log on using the factory IP and BINGO! There was the GUI, but it was the factory GUI... The router was still running Mr Voxel's firmware, V1.0.2.79SF . But all my settings were gone :(
Luckilly, I had saved the config before, so I reloaded it. And all my devices, wifi and wired, were able to connect again and things were peachy.
But I don't know what happened.
My R7800 is connected to an Eaton UPS. It's still up and running. The 2 devices connected to the UPS are fine and dandy too.
It was pretty hot those last days in Paris. The room where the router is running is about 30°C, and the router itself is at max at 38°C. But the router is on top a laptop cooler, with 2 fans. So the temperature of the router is normally at 35°C
I don't use the traffic meter.
I have no USB devices connected.
I read most of this thread, I thought there was a command I could use find out which NAND there is in the router, but I didn't find it :(
I bought the router in 2018 and it was running fine till last night. Never a hiccup.

It's when something like that happens that you realize how dependant you are... I couldn't turn on my lights :( My Google Home or my Alexa were worthless :(
I was pissed off cuz that meant I wasn't going to be able to see my videos on my NAS, since the router was down...
I was happy to be able to restart the router with the full config :)

But I wonder now if something is wrong with it... A bad NAND? Or a problem with the latest Voxel firmware? A problem with the power supply?
I was... I might get another R7800 as a backup router. What do you think? I didn't plan this expense though :(

Thank you for your comments and all the help you can give me :)

Hello all,

Well... I came home last night and all my WiFi devices were down. I thought that my Internet box had lost its connection, but it wasn't that.
I checked my R7800 and there was the orange led blinking, the one with the little "world"second one from the left.
So I tried to log on using my desktop and a wired connection. No luck. Couldn't ping the router.
Then I tried to log on using the factory IP and BINGO! There was the GUI, but it was the factory GUI... The router was still running Mr Voxel's firmware, V1.0.2.79SF . But all my settings were gone :(
Luckilly, I had saved the config before, so I reloaded it. And all my devices, wifi and wired, were able to connect again and things were peachy.
My R7800 is connected to an Eaton UPS. It's still up and running. The 2 devices connected to the UPS are fine and dandy too.
It was pretty hot those last days in Paris. The room where the router is running is about 30°C, and the router itself is at max at 38°C. But the router is on top a laptop cooler, with 2 fans. So the temperature of the router is normally at 35°C
I read most of this thread, I thought there was a command I could use find out which NAND there is in the router, but I didn't find it :(
I bought the router in 2018 and it was running fine till last night. Never a hiccup.

It's when something like that happens that you realize how dependant you are... I couldn't turn on my lights :( My Google Home or my Alexa were worthless :(
I was pissed off cuz that meant I wasn't going to be able to see my videos on my NAS, since the router was down...

But I wonder now if something is wrong with it... A bad NAND? Or a problem with the latest Voxel firmware? A problem with the power supply?
I was... I might get another R7800 as a backup router. What do you think? I didn't plan this expense though :(

To check which NAND model you have:
Add dmesg > /tmp/DMESG_INIT.log in /etc/init.d/boot (at the beginning of the start function for example) and after a reboot look into it for nand (grep -i nand /tmp/DMESG_init.log

I suggest you install nvram-utils to make good backups and if needed (if your router is failing again) install the bootfix.

As for the reason of this, likely not the firmware and probably the well known NAND problem; 2018 is a recent model. With the heatwave, it probably overheated somehow.

Using Kamoj Add-on 5.3 beta gives you extensive flash info, e.g.:
Code:
Flash memory chip type: MT29F1G08ABBEAH4. UBI max/mean erase counters: 83/51.

FLASH TYPE NAND:
mtd0 : qcadata _ _nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ _ _size: 13107200 bytes
mtd1 : APPSBL _ _ nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ _ _size: _5242880 bytes
mtd2 : APPSBLENV _nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ _ _size: _ 524288 bytes
mtd3 : ART _ _ _ _nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ _ _size: _1310720 bytes
mtd4 : ART.bak _ _nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ _ _size: _1310720 bytes
mtd5 : kernel _ _ nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ _ _size: _2228224 bytes
mtd6 : rootfs _ _ nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ _ _size: 31326208 bytes
mtd7 : netgear _ _nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ _ _size: 71827456 bytes
mtd8 : firmware _ nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ _ _size: 33554432 bytes
mtd9 : crashdump _nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ _ _size: _ 524288 bytes
mtd10: language _ nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ _ _size: _3670016 bytes
mtd11: config _ _ nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ _ _size: _1179648 bytes
mtd12: pot _ _ _ _nand _ worn bad:0 _factory bad:0 _bad allowed:t writable:t ecc errors:0 _ _ _size: _1179648 bytes

FLASH TYPE NOR:
mtd13: m25p80 _ _ nor _ _bad allowed:f writable:t size: _ _65536 bytes

FLASH TYPE UBI:
Device: ubi0 _ _ _type:ubi _ bad blocks:0 _Allowed bad blocks:5 _Max/mean erase counters:83/51 _size: _4190208 bytes
mtd14: cert _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ubi _Volume:0 State:OK _ size: _ 126976 bytes
mtd15: pot.bak _ _ _ _ _ _ _ubi _Volume:1 State:OK _ size: _ 380928 bytes
mtd16: traffic_meter _ _ _ _ubi _Volume:2 State:OK _ size: _1777664 bytes
mtd17: traffic_meter.bak _ _ubi _Volume:3 State:OK _ size: _1777664 bytes
mtd18: dongle _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ubi _Volume:4 State:OK _ size: _1777664 bytes
mtd19: overlay_volume _ _ _ ubi _Volume:5 State:OK _ size: 58408960 bytes
Hello all,

To check which NAND model you have:
Add dmesg > /tmp/DMESG_INIT.log in /etc/init.d/boot (at the beginning of the start function for example) and after a reboot look into it for nand (grep -i nand /tmp/DMESG_init.log

I suggest you install nvram-utils to make good backups and if needed (if your router is failing again) install the bootfix.

As for the reason of this, likely not the firmware and probably the well known NAND problem; 2018 is a recent model. With the heatwave, it probably overheated somehow.
Hello Hello_wOLRD :)

Thank you for your prompt reply :)

This is the info I got :
root@R7800:/tmp$ grep -i nand dmesg_init.log
msm_nand_probe: phys addr 0x1ac00000
msm_nand_probe: dmac 0x3
msm_nand_probe: allocated dma buffer at ffdfc000, dma_addr 5f70e000
nandid: 1580a101 maker 01 device a1
Found a supported NAND device
NAND Controller ID : 0x4030
NAND Device ID : 0x1580a101
Creating 13 MTD partitions on "msm_nand":
mtd: find squashfs magic at 0x16a0000 of "msm_nand"

Good NAND? Bad NAND?
I'll install the nvram-utils and make a good backup now :)

Could you tell me more about the bootfix though? What does it do exactly? Same install than thet nvram-utils?

Also, you're saying that my 2018 R7800 is recent and might have the faulty NAND? I guess I shouldn't buy a new R7800 as a backup router then, right?

Hello Hello_wOLRD :)

Thank you for your prompt reply :)

This is the info I got :

Good NAND? Bad NAND?
I'll install the nvram-utils and make a good backup now :)

Could you tell me more about the bootfix though? What does it do exactly? Same install than thet nvram-utils?

Also, you're saying that my 2018 R7800 is recent and might have the faulty NAND? I guess I shouldn't buy a new R7800 as a backup router then, right?
Sounds like the Macronix chip (the one that can have problems).
To be sure, do grep -i onfi /tmp/DMESG_init.log
If it returns MX30UF1G18AC, then you have the Macronix and it confirms that it is likely the same problem I had (and many other people).

nvram-utils can install the bootfix: nvram-utils bootfix install
What it does and how to use it is described here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r7800-utility-nvram-utils.63585/

As for the pertinence of a second R7800 as backup, no need:
1) it could have the same problem over time
2) with bootfix, you can use defective R7800 as well. I did it for a while before I got mine changed through RMA.

Please, be sure it is not under warranty still (2 years in Europe), in that case, you can have it exchanged (RMA).
If not, it’s ok, you can run it with bootfix ;) or you can change the chip yourself if you are skilled/confident enough (NG forums are talking about that and it works).

Hello again HELLO_wOLD,

Not sure I have the Macronix NAND :
root@R7800:/$ grep -i onfi /tmp/dmesg_init.log
pci 0000:00:00.0: bridge configuration invalid ([bus 00-00]), reconfiguring
pci 0000:02:00.0: bridge configuration invalid ([bus 00-00]), reconfiguring
TCP: Hash tables configured (established 16384 bind 16384)
Partition (from dni partition table) config -- Offset:3e8 Size:9
get_bootconfig_partition 0 0 : v2 magic not found
ONFI probe : Found an ONFI compliant device S34MS01G2
0x000007d00000-0x000007e20000 : "config"

I was wrong, I got the router in September 2017. So it's out of warranty.
I have installed nvram-utils and have ran the backup, so I have the file in the root directory. Should I copy it somewhere else, or the utils and the file will remain even if there is another crash?

Just wanted to add that it's really great to have people like you and Voxel and Kamoj working and helping us, always. Really, means a lot to me :)

That’s right, you have a Cypress, not a Macronix or Micron.

If you have USB drive on your router (/mnt/entware) , nvram-utils also save backups there incrementally. You can check.

The flash memory problem generally only affects the nvram part and the firmware stays safe (as well as backup). Crashes or reboot are not affecting root directory.
However, I would advise to save it somewhere else as well if you don’t have the USB drive just to be safe.

You’re welcome,
Bonne soirée

Are the Cypress NANDs also affected by the problem? I thought it was only the Macronix ones?
If not, I'm wondering why it happened last night. When I wasn't there, of course :( Not that it would have changed anything...
I don't think it could be the temperature. Its temp is below 40°C at all times.
Don't know if it is power related. It's connected to an Eaton UPS.

It never gave me any trouble during those 3 years.

Bonne soirée également :)

EDIT : trying to find out how to copy the file not using a USB drive.
I tried to TFTP it to my laptop but I guess my antivirus program or whatever is blocking the connection.
I tried WinSCP but it cannot connect to the router.

Haven't slept enough, I'll have to find a way tomorrow... :)

Last edited:
Are the Cypress NANDs also affected by the problem? I thought it was only the Macronix ones?
If not, I'm wondering why it happened last night. When I wasn't there, of course :( Not that it would have changed anything...
I don't think it could be the temperature. Its temp is below 40°C at all times.
Don't know if it is power related. It's connected to an Eaton UPS.

It never gave me any trouble during those 3 years.

Bonne soirée également :)

EDIT : trying to find out how to copy the file not using a USB drive.
I tried to TFTP it to my laptop but I guess my antivirus program or whatever is blocking the connection.
I tried WinSCP but it cannot connect to the router.

Haven't slept enough, I'll have to find a way tomorrow... :)

It seems that Macronix chips are more often the ones having problems, however, sometimes it is mentioned that bad soldering is at fault.
Anyway, the source of the problem is yet to be found (but certainly well known by Netgear). Heat is known to trigger it, but it might not be the only trigger.

Mine too is on an Eaton UPS and cooled by laptop fan.

Hello,

Thanx a lot @kamoj, I will install your addon very soon :)

Something weird has just happened : I was on my laptop when suddenly, no WiFi. I saw my Google Home light up so I knew something was wrong. I tried to log on the router, but it seemed that the WiFi was really down. So I figured "it's happening again!" I went to my router and saw that the LEDs were all fine, meaning nothing reddish. Weird.
I came back to my laptop and the WiFi was back. So I logged on the router and checked the logs. And nothing. Just accesses on my LAN (I have a mail server installed on my NAS) and 2 DHCP requests. Nothing more.
Also the uptime on the router is 2 days old, when I reinstalled Voxel's latest firmware. So there wasn't a reboot, or it happened much much faster than usual. And I didn't lose my config.

What do you think happened??
Should I be worried?
Damn! I'm on the verge of getting another R7800. Or better, if you think I should avoid that model now... But if so, which one? Still a Netgear or an Asus or a Synology or...?
I really did love and trust my R7800, till now...

Thank you for your help and wisdom :)

It seems that Macronix chips are more often the ones having problems, however, sometimes it is mentioned that bad soldering is at fault.
Anyway, the source of the problem is yet to be found (but certainly well known by Netgear). Heat is known to trigger it, but it might not be the only trigger.

Mine too is on an Eaton UPS and cooled by laptop fan.

Hello :)

The heat wave is gone in Paris. I checked the router, the max temperature is 32°C, pretty cool temperature, right?
I was thinking the power supply might be faulty, but... Maybe I could contact Netgear and get a new one?

Back again :(
Weird thing again. While I was typing my posts, the WiFi 5G went down. And only the 5G. The 2.4G was still alive.
I checked the logs again, and nothing.
I was using the latest Voxel firmware. But I reverted to V1.0.2.78SF. I never had a problem with this one, so...

I had such a WiFi reset a few days ago.
But I am working extensively on the router to set IPv6 correctly. I am close to something working very good now.

Anyway, the AC is a possibility. You can always try to contact Netgear and see what they say.

I certainly would keep the R7800 and have it to work. It is a good router (with @Voxel ’s firmware) and certainly able to handle gigabit connections with the right settings.
If it dies, then it is up to you to get another R7800 or go with a more recent router (R9000 or up) supporting latest WiFi.

Here by the coast of Normandy, the heat wave was more manageable. August in Paris can be brutal.

Hello HELLO_wORLD :)

Out of curiosity, which firmware are you using? As I said, I reverted to V1.0.2.78SF and so far, no problem. But I installed Kamoj's addon this morning so I had to reboot the router.

I will check the AC with Netgear I think. Or get one with the right electrical specs.

There was a brand new 7800 at €149 on Amazon, I couldn't let it pass so I ordered it. Just in case. As I said in this thread (I think) I have many WiFi devices that depend on the router, and when it had failed, it was kind of a problem in the house. Couldn't turn on the lights, couldn't get my documents on my NAS, couldn't get the TV, ... It's when the router goes down that you realise how important that device is.
I don't have any AX devices, so I don't really need a more recent router. I will get some for sure, but it doesn't matter right now. And I think the 7800 is still one of the best router around. Great WiFi coverage, great speed, very stable normally,...

Hello,

I’m on latest VoxelV1.0.2.79SF with minimal NG setup (no QOS, no cloud, etc...) and disabled NG snitches as well.

Yes the router is such an important device, you realizes when it goes down.
With a second R7800, you are all set and ready in case of problems.
It is indeed a great and powerful router, thanks to Voxel’s firmware.

Out of curiosity, which firmware are you using? As I said, I reverted to V1.0.2.78SF and so far, no problem. But I installed Kamoj's addon this morning so I had to reboot the router.

I will check the AC with Netgear I think. Or get one with the right electrical specs.

There was a brand new 7800 at €149 on Amazon, I couldn't let it pass so I ordered it. Just in case. As I said in this thread (I think) I have many WiFi devices that depend on the router, and when it had failed, it was kind of a problem in the house. Couldn't turn on the lights, couldn't get my documents on my NAS, couldn't get the TV, ... It's when the router goes down that you realise how important that device is.
I don't have any AX devices, so I don't really need a more recent router. I will get some for sure, but it doesn't matter right now. And I think the 7800 is still one of the best router around. Great WiFi coverage, great speed, very stable normally,...

Hello again,

I know, I was lazy and I just configured my R7800 backup today.
I checked the NAND and damned :( It's a Macronix chip :

root@R7800:/tmp$ grep -i onfi DMESG_INIT.log
pci 0000:00:00.0: bridge configuration invalid ([bus 00-00]), reconfiguring
pci 0000:02:00.0: bridge configuration invalid ([bus 00-00]), reconfiguring
TCP: Hash tables configured (established 16384 bind 16384)
Partition (from dni partition table) config -- Offset:3e8 Size:9
get_bootconfig_partition 0 0 : v2 magic not found
ONFI probe : Found an ONFI compliant device MX30UF1G18AC
0x000007d00000-0x000007e20000 : "config"

root@R7800:/tmp$ grep -i nand DMESG_INIT.log
msm_nand_probe: phys addr 0x1ac00000
msm_nand_probe: dmac 0x3
msm_nand_probe: allocated dma buffer at ffdfc000, dma_addr 5f4fa000
nandid: 1580a1c2 maker c2 device a1
Found a supported NAND device
NAND Controller ID : 0x4030
NAND Device ID : 0x1580a1c2
Creating 13 MTD partitions on "msm_nand":
mtd: find squashfs magic at 0x16a0000 of "msm_nand"

What would you do if you were me? Send it back to Amazon? Or would you keep it as a backup router in case the other one fails, and use Bootfix? The one I'm using right now has a Cypress NAND.

Thank you for your insights :)

Hello again,

I know, I was lazy and I just configured my R7800 backup today.
I checked the NAND and damned :( It's a Macronix chip :

What would you do if you were me? Send it back to Amazon? Or would you keep it as a backup router in case the other one fails, and use Bootfix? The one I'm using right now has a Cypress NAND.

Thank you for your insights :)

All the recent ones are Macronix I think. So if you want to return it to get another one, it will likely be Macronix unless you find a second hand one that is old enough, but your original one is not a Macronix, so...

Mine is a Macronix and is ok for now.

Backup and keeping it cool is the key. If it starts to fail, the bootfix makes it totally usable.

As for what to do, it depends on your needs.
If having a backup router is essential or important (or makes you feel more secure or prepared), then keep it, if not, returning it and have your money back is a serious option.

Thanx for your response :)

Well yeah, having a backup router is kinda essential for me. My Internet box is configured as a bridge, the R7800 is my main router at home. I have something like 25 devices connected (WiFi primarily). And with the Covid situation, I'm stuck at home, waiting for the go to go back to work. So I really need a constant internet connection.

If you do think I'd be alright with it and the NAND, then I prefer to keep it. Got it for a good price I think, brand new for €150 ($178 US) I've already prepared it : latest Voxel's firmware, Kamoj's addon, your backup addon, and the actual configuration of my router.

I still think the R7800 is the best router around. Not just for the price, but as a router. I see no other that powerful, that stable (with the right firmware), and with so many people following it. You can't go wrong with it :)

Hi,
and unfortunately I had a problem. The router has already been replaced twice as part of the RMA, the first time - a wifi failure (after a few days from the purchase), now, after about 4 months, there is a memory problem (after switching it off, it returns to the default settings). Now I think whether to stay with r7800 or change e.g. to rt-ax86. What to do here? Third time lucky?
I am very satisfied with the Voxel firmware and the Kamoj add-on, but I must admit that it is a bit tempting to switch to the soft Merlin. Which router will have a greater and stable range?

Regards

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!