What's new

R7800 - write speed USB?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Brutalizer

New Around Here
What write speeds are you getting writing to a USB memory stick formatted with NTFS? I get 35 MB/sec which I am disappointed of. Is it possible to make write speeds faster?

I read 100MB/sec which is good.

What write speeds are you getting writing to a USB memory stick formatted with NTFS? I get 35 MB/sec which I am disappointed of. Is it possible to make write speeds faster?

I read 100MB/sec which is good.

Sounds like typical limitation of USB flash drives. Those are almost always much slower at writing than reading. Look up your USB manufacturer's specifications.

Sounds like typical limitation of USB flash drives. Those are almost always much slower at writing than reading. Look up your USB manufacturer's specifications.

On thumb drives - one has to erase/clear the blocks first (e.g. zero them out), and then write the actual data... some thumb-drives have better controllers than others - the cheap ones are decent at reads, but pretty poor on writes...

I also tried a USB 3.0 thumb drive and was disappointed with the performance. I gave the eSATA port a try with a external hard drive. It works great.

I also tried a USB 3.0 thumb drive and was disappointed with the performance. I gave the eSATA port a try with a external hard drive. It works great.
Look at the read and write speeds of the thumb drives, cheaper ones as has been said are slower generally , USB 3 wont make a huge difference unless you get a stick with a better read and write speed speeds. Kingston have a range called HyperX Savage they claim speeds of 350 MB/s read and 250 MB/s write on the larger size models. I think the 64GB model is 180Mbps write. Don't take for gospel you will get these speeds though.

My usb3 stick reads 100mb/sec and writes 55mb/sec according to the specs. I get 35 mb/sec write speed.

What speeds do you get? Can you post your numbers, would be nice to see. The esata port, what read and write speeds do you get? 35 mb/sec?

My usb3 stick reads 100mb/sec and writes 55mb/sec according to the specs. I get 35 mb/sec write speed.

What speeds do you get? Can you post your numbers, would be nice to see. The esata port, what read and write speeds do you get? 35 mb/sec?

Below are my Readyshare Network Drive measurements using the Totusoft LAN Speed Test (Lite) Version 1.3.1 (Free Version) at: http://totusoft.com/downloads/. I do not know what you used for your test, this is what I found for free with a quick internet search.

I performed 4 tests with 20 Megabytes and 4 tests with 200 Megabytes for each run and then averaged the results to get the below data:

Lexar 128GB USB 3.0 Thumb Drive - Plugged into Netgear R7800 USB port - Readyshare Network
20 Megabytes
Write Time 1.303122625 Seconds
Write Speed 177.503422 Mbps
Read Time 1.135934375 Seconds
Read Speed 241.214206 Mbps

200 Megabytes
Write Time 11.629976275 Seconds
Write Speed 88.901616 Mbps
Read Time 3.968863325 Seconds
Read Speed 280.429518 Mbps

eSATA Western Digital 1TB Hard Drive - Plugged into Netgear R7800 eSATA port - Readyshare Network
20 Megabytes
Write Time 0.384090775 Seconds
Write Speed 422.656756 Mbps
Read Time 0.442585575 Seconds
Read Speed 363.646168 Mbps

200 Megabytes File
Write Time 3.8691952 Seconds
Write Speed 413.607966 Mbps
Read Time 4.40345475 Seconds
Read Speed 363.74372 Mbps

Lexar 128GB USB 3.0 Thumb Drive - Plugged into PC USB port:
20 Megabytes File
Write Time 0.61394585 Seconds
Write Speed 413.05662 Mbps
Read Time 0.1497505 Seconds
Read Speed 1068.450818 Mbps

200 Megabytes File
Write Time 5.89652155 Seconds
Write Speed 284.03159 Mbps
Read Time 1.3411665 Seconds
Read Speed 1193.62416 Mbps

Rbird2,
Wow, that was a really thorough test! Thanx, much appreciated. Just what i wanted. :)

Myself did the test in windows 10, i just copied a file from my pc to the usb stick with the file manager (called file explorer?), which said 35mb/sec. However, i used 5gb iso large files because the r7800 has 512 mb ram, so it can cache lot of small files, which will give misrepresentative results. So if you could just try to copy a large iso file to the usb stick with windows gives a more accurate result i think. Also, when i have copied a 5gb iso file to the usb stick, and try to read it back, i must be bareful, because windows have cached the file into ram - which means windows just give me the iso file at ram speed. Therefore, ideally i need to use larger data, not small files.

Quite interesting. When I use a VirtualBox virtual machine Windows 7, and copy files from Solaris 11.2 down to the USB stick, I get 73MB/sec for several minutes, and then it gets down to 45MB/sec or so. The host OS is Solaris. But my Solaris doesnt really like the R7800, because I have configured Solaris to use static IP, and R7800 drops connection for a while now and then. That might be why, the speed drops from 73MB/sec down to 45 MB/sec.

Anyway, I can conclude that my R7800 setup gives adequate write speeds, up to 75MB/sec - which must be considered as a decent NAS. I reckon all of you get 75MB/sec write speed, and 100MB/sec read speed? So you dont need a separate NAS? The router will do fine?

Ok, I copied 8 GB as three large files and I averaged 59 MB/sec which is not too shabby as a NAS. There are slower NASes out there. :)

I am happy with this write speed. :)

Quick tip for making test files - can adjust the sizes according to needs...

Solaris - really easy...

$ mkfile 10m output.dat

On Linux, you can use the dd command:

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=output.dat bs=1024 count=10240
10240+0 records in
10240+0 records out
10485760 bytes (10 MB) copied, 0.218581 seconds, 48.0 MB/s

$ ls -hl output.dat
-rw-r--r-- 1 sfx sfx 10M 2008-02-09 16:21 output.dat

Hi,

I know the thread is quite old, but I'm having only 40-50MBps read, since I edit videos with the clip files stored in the NAS, I'd like to know how did you increase the read speed to around 100MBps as stated in the reviews.

Thanks,

Bottlenecks to speed can be the WiFi adapter or NAS (Hard Drives/CPU/RAM/Running processes)

WiFi card wise an Intel 9260ac with HT160 enablednon the router can easily net you 100-116 MB/s which is close to the Ethernet limit. Of course range/performance will also be affected by obstacles such as walls etc between router and client and type of home build materials. I can get 100+ MB/s down and 60-80 MB/s up depending on location on all three floors because my home interior is mostly drywall, even though router is in top floor. Granite/Concrete etc would attenuate the signal a lot though.

Hi,

I know the thread is quite old, but I'm having only 40-50MBps read, since I edit videos with the clip files stored in the NAS, I'd like to know how did you increase the read speed to around 100MBps as stated in the reviews.

Thanks,
I must say I'm connected to the router via cable.

OK, here are my test results.
I used my fastest USB stick: https://www.sandisk.com/home/usb-flash/extremepro-usb
(One of the faster you can buy, ntfs formated)

Read: 107,685 kbytes/s
Write: 91,730 kbytes/s

USB Speed Test using ftp with Total Commander 9.21a:
Test run from Window 10 with SSD disk, to/from the USB: ftp://readyshare.routerlogin.net/shares/USB_Storage

Test file: TEST.BIN 237,742,352 bytes (Compressed zip-file)

I am running Voxel FW V1.0.2.61SF, that is faster than Netgear stock FW.

I must say I'm connected to the router via cable.

Last edited:
I also have USB stick Sandisk Extreme Pro but of previous generation which is 220 MB/s both read and write.

Using it I measured multiple cases and here is my results on latest available versions of firmwares. For tests, I copied 3 Gb file and checked it’s real transfer time.

Samba over wire
Voxel: 106 MB/s read, 44 MB/s write
Dd-wrt: 75 MB/s read, 56 MB/s write
Openwrt: 30 MB/s read, 10 MB/s write

What is interesting, switching to FTP gives significant boost but only on Voxel, on Dd-wrt I didn’t manage to achieve the same. So

FTP over wire
Voxel: 114 Mb/s read, 83 MB/s write

But more important is wireless of course and here is big drop in performance.

Samba over 5 GHz 80 Hz wireless
Voxel: 41 MB/s read, 25 MB/s write
Dd-wrt: 41 MB/s read, 27 MB/s write

And again situation is improved with FTP in case of Voxel, so

FTP over 5 GHz 80 Hz wireless
Voxel: 57 MB/s read, 45 MB/s write

I also have exteral 2.5 HDD WD My passport 4 Tb with similar results.

So now I'm debating with myself which OS to choose, Voxel or Dw-wrt (although I like Openwrt the most).
Anyone has ideas how to improve FTP performance on Dd-wrt maybe?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!