What's new

R9000: VPN Connection issue with IKEv2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ejschenck

Occasional Visitor
Alright fellow nerds... I have a doozy. So I have an R9000 and am encountering a very strange problem using VPN Services (specifically TunnelBear and VPN Unlimited) and the IKEv2 Protocol. I've definitely narrowed the problem down to the router and specifically WiFi connections. Here is what I know so far:

• OpenVPN protocol works fine if chosen, but not all VPN services can use it.
  • It isn’t the ISP. When directly connecting my Macbook to the cable modem everything works fine.
  • It isn’t a specific device. mac, iPhone, and iPad are all having the same issues.
  • It MAY be the router. When directly connected to the router (mac via ethernet) VPNs will connect. Over Wifi, however, they cannot make an IKEv2 connection properly.
  • It is PROBABLY something with the Netgear firmware. I tried Voxel's and had the same issue, dd-wrt however works just fine.
I tried resetting the router to factory settings and that allowed connections for a short period of time (few hours) but then it just started acting up again. It shows connected but there is no connectivity.

I don’t see any firewall features in the router that would be interfering. It also is peculiar that this only happens over WiFi, not wired. I’ve gone as far as turning all firewall features off AND DMZing the iPhone to see if that helps and it did not.

Who has any ideas or can also replicate such an issue?

I have the R9000 running latest stock fw and I have no issue at all running IKEv2 vpn protocol with my VPN provider - which is vpn.ac. Both wireless and wired connections work and the VPN connection is setup on at each device (eg PC, iphone, tablet etc) rather than at router level.

I have the R9000 running latest stock fw and I have no issue at all running IKEv2 vpn protocol with my VPN provider - which is vpn.ac. Both wireless and wired connections work and the VPN connection is setup on at each device (eg PC, iphone, tablet etc) rather than at router level.
Do me a favor and download Tunnelbear on your iPhone/iPad. It'll give you 500MB free.

Tell me if you get the same result. It says it connects, but there's no connectivity to the device.

If yours is working maybe I have a defective unit or something. Everything I'm doing points to the router being the fault.

Ok sure, will test using the Tunnelbear iOS app connected to the R9000 however can't do this for a week at least as I'm away from home for a while. Will let you know how i get on.
Cheers

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!