What's new

Random freezing of router RT-AC68U firmware 380.57_0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cag

Occasional Visitor
I have installed the firmware. No problems except that the router it seems randomly stops working. The lights are on correctly but the computer all say no network. Turning the router off/on fixes the problem.

Here is the log between freezes...
Jul 31 17:00:28 ntp: start NTP update
Jul 31 17:00:28 kernel: * Make sure sizeof(struct sw_struct)=160 is consistent
Jul 31 17:00:29 kernel: sizeof forward param = 160
Jul 31 17:00:31 ntp: start NTP update
Mar 2 11:55:43 rc_service: ntp 667:notify_rc restart_upnp
Mar 2 11:55:44 rc_service: ntp 667:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Mar 2 11:55:44 disk_monitor: Finish
Mar 2 11:55:45 rc_service: udhcpc 518:notify_rc start_firewall
Mar 2 11:55:45 rc_service: waitting "restart_diskmon" via ntp ...
Mar 2 11:55:46 disk monitor: be idle
Mar 2 11:55:46 dhcp client: bound 76.121.129.190 via 76.121.128.1 during 345600 seconds.
Mar 2 11:55:47 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)!
Mar 2 11:56:02 hour monitor: daemon is starting
Mar 2 11:56:13 crond[441]: time disparity of 309355 minutes detected
Mar 2 12:00:46 disk_monitor: Got SIGALRM...
Mar 2 18:17:02 alert mail: AiProtection send mail
Mar 2 23:00:46 disk_monitor: Got SIGALRM...
Mar 3 15:30:12 alert mail: AiProtection send mail
Mar 4 05:50:52 alert mail: AiProtection send mail
Mar 4 06:07:24 dnsmasq-dhcp[433]: Ignoring domain ad.faa.gov for DHCP host name ARCNML001166892
Jul 31 17:00:12 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.20.2 (2015-12-24 13:54:08 EST)
Jul 31 17:00:12 kernel: Linux version 2.6.36.4brcmarm (merlin@mint-dev) (gcc version 4.5.3 (Buildroot 2012.02) ) #2 SMP PREEMPT Thu Dec 24 14:06:13 EST 2015
Jul 31 17:00:12 kernel: CPU: ARMv7 Processor [413fc090] revision 0 (ARMv7), cr=10c53c7f
Jul 31 17:00:12 kernel: CPU: VIPT nonaliasing data cache, VIPT nonaliasing instruction cache

Plz tell us you have "Factory to default reset" after flashing.Version driver is different in 380.57.
Did you read this at the beginning of this tread?

"A factory default reset is required specifically for the RT-AC68U, due to the switch to a new SDK + wireless driver"
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-380-57-is-now-available.29308/

There is weird issues for the AC68u and 380.57
The old version Driver is coming back in 380.58.You can downgrade to 378.56_2 or wait for the final release of 380.58

I switched from the stock Asus firmware to Asuswrt-Merlin 380.57 on a new RT-AC68U router earlier this week. I didn't know about the need to do a "Factory to default reset" so just did a regular update from the Asus stock firmware. Thing seems to be working fine. Was I supposed to do a "Factory to default reset" before flashing to Merlin, or can I still do it now?

I switched from the stock Asus firmware to Asuswrt-Merlin 380.57 on a new RT-AC68U router earlier this week. I didn't know about the need to do a "Factory to default reset" so just did a regular update from the Asus stock firmware. Thing seems to be working fine. Was I supposed to do a "Factory to default reset" before flashing to Merlin, or can I still do it now?
From the README
Installation
------------
Simply flash it like any regular update. You should not need to
reset to factory defaults (see note below for exceptions).
You can revert back to an original Asus firmware at any time just
by flashing a firmware downloaded from Asus's website.

NOTE: resetting to factory default after flashing is
strongly recommended for the following cases:

- Updating from a firmware version that is more than 3 releases older
- Switching from a Tomato/DD-WRT/OpenWRT firmware

If upgrading from anything older and you experience issues, then
consider doing a factory default reset then as well.

Always read the changelog, as mandatory resets will be mentionned
there when they are necessary.

In all of these cases, do NOT load a saved copy of your settings!
This would be the same thing as NOT resetting at all, as you will
simply re-enter any invalid setting you wanted to get rid of. Make
sure to create a new backup of your settings after reconfiguring.
If you are experiencing unexplained problems you can do a factory reset anytime after installing the firmware. Then manually configure the router. Do not restore settings from a previous backup.

Don't use the Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting/Factory default(It remembers some things). Instead do a hard reset by using the button on the back, hold until the LED's flash.

I will try the factory reset. Since I also went from the factory build to this build, I read that I didn't need the factory reset.

Any easy way to save to text/print the current configuration?

I was having random reboot problems with rt-n18u with hgg* firmware, i only did factory reset from gui. Then hggomes recommended factory reset with reset button and that resolved reboot problem.

I have turned off Traffic Analyzer.. so far no freezing.
I also have John' utility and have run a backup.

When I get some time I will do the factory reset.

Got some time this morning. Did a factory reset using the button and restore using John's tool. Putty is a great tool to use. Traffic Analyzer is still off.

Last edited:
I turned on the traffic analyzer yesterday and just now the router froze again. So it worked fine from Sunday to Wednesday at 11:20. I have turned the traffic analyzer back off.

Seems like there is a bug in traffic analyzer?

2:50 - Router stopped working again. The LEDs are all flashing but no network...

Any help on what next? go back to ASUS firmware?

Last edited:
The router stopped again this morning. Any ideas? Return the router or try the factory build? I don't see anything in the log

There's been two recent threads with folks experiencing weird router problems. One turned out seemingly to be related to bad router location and the other apparently from interference caused by a usb cable plugged into the router. Just something to consider. For some location tips, you might read through 10 biggest home networking mistakes (and how to fix them) and 10 Huge Wi-Fi Antenna Mistakes. I read theserecently and found it informative, maybe you will to. Or not, hah. Good luck.

Last edited:
There's been two recent threads with folks experiencing weird router problems. One turned out seemingly to be related to bad router location and the other apparently from interference caused by a usb cable plugged into the router. Just something to consider. For some location tips, you might read through 10 biggest home networking mistakes (and how to fix them) and 10 Huge Wi-Fi Antenna Mistakes. I read theserecently and found it informative, maybe you will to. Or not, hah. Good luck.

I have a USB drive plugged into it that I used for John's Tool. I will remove the drive. The router is on the top self pretty much by itself. I have a Samsung Network Extender and Netgear Gigabit Switch plugged in. All of the PCs are plugged into the Netgear switch which is about 3 feet away, the printer 2 feet away and the Network Extender is 3 feet away. The router does work for a few days it seems and then freezes, all of the lights are still on, but there is no network wired or wireless.

I have a USB drive plugged into it that I used for John's Tool. I will remove the drive. The router is on the top self pretty much by itself. I have a Samsung Network Extender and Netgear Gigabit Switch plugged in. All of the PCs are plugged into the Netgear switch which is about 3 feet away, the printer 2 feet away and the Network Extender is 3 feet away. The router does work for a few days it seems and then freezes, all of the lights are still on, but there is no network wired or wireless.
The only other thing I recall is the person who had the usb issue mentioned it happened when the usb cable was plugged in the port nearest the Ethernet ports. That probably didn't help. Guess it's not under warranty any more?

Still under Warranty, 8/20/2015 purchase. I didn't have this problem until I installed Merlin. So, I am going to try the factory firmware before I call in the warranty for replacement.

It froze today.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!