1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

random thread of R7800 and PI

Discussion in 'NETGEAR AC Wireless' started by eevanskiteboards, Jan 15, 2019.

1. eevanskiteboards

eevanskiteboards Occasional Visitor

I just wanted to start a new thread to discuss raspberry pi combined with R7800. I don't know if other people have an interest in the raspberry pi but I think it's pretty cool

So I caught a sale on a raspberry pi and have been running pihole for about a month now. The idea of it being your DNS resolver / server is a cool concept to block ads Etc. I think however, it's giving me issues combined with stubby on the router(R7800). Some days it's telling me I'm blocking hundreds of DNS requests than other days it's only showing a handful of blocks(with the same average internet use). One or two times I caught the router going back to automatic DNS servers versus the server address (that I manually enter in the setup page) given to me by pihole.

Does anybody else have this combined set up and have any tips for me for example that I should turn off dnscrypt and stubby on router and just let pihole do its job or am I getting mixed results because I'm combining multiple functions of a router and pihole on two machines?

My current setup: R7800 with Voxel's latest .62 software, stubby enabled, openvpn with nordvpn, both of my smart TVs have be tunneled through openvpn for Netflix and Xfinity to work.

Thanks